• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wayte Raymond Albums arent always the holy grail of toning...

14 posts in this topic

Not mine...Just posted for educational reasons so newbies can see NT toning in its natural environment...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-1956-Unc-Jefferson-Nickels-Collection-3-Board-Vintage-Wayte-Raymond-Album-/251243661780?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3a7f4a09d4

But these results are somewhat typical of what WR toning usually looks like....Yes, sometimes WRs can produced nice colors but its usually on less then 10% of all the coins in the album...

Thanks for sharing those images - via the eBay listing - of that

extremely pleasing Jefferson Nickel collection. You don't get

to see too many sets in the old Waite albums.

The toning seems to favor the copper alloy in the nickel -

as there is a lot of copper tones going on there.

It's the silver coins that have been hidden for years inside these

albums that have quite a bit of toning - and as we all know nickel

and silver tone differently !

Thanks again for posting those album pages.

Good group of coins, thanks for sharing here. Keep in mind these are nickel coins reacting with the other elements in the Wayte-Raymond holders, not silver or other coins. People with extensive knowledge of chemistry and how these reactions take place over long periods of time would be able to give clarity on this topic.

It's the silver coins that have been hidden for years inside these

albums that have quite a bit of toning - and as we all know nickel

and silver tone differently !

Thanks again for posting those album pages.

Ive seen the same type/color of toning on silver as well as copper in WR. And Ive seen some colorful toning from WRs on nickel.

My point wasnt that all WR toning is unattractive. My point was that WRs dont always produce rainbows and when they do its usually only a couple of coins that come out pretty...

Some think that you can take an old WR album fill it with coins put it on a heater and presto changeo - in a couple of years you have an album full of coins with beautiful toning.

if that were only true... lol.

The auction you linked shows Jeffersons that may have toned from Wayte Raymond boards, but most of them didn't. Those are Meghrig boards that I sold early January. The current seller is a different seller than the eBay handle I sold them to (although possibly the same person, as a couple of the pictures look like they could be a couple of mine cropped).. I did not have the album in my sale.

The kicker is those boards I bought individually from a seller a few years ago with some very nice BUs, but mostly circulated and incomplete. The pink stickers on lower right have a $5.00 price - I tried taking off the sticker on first page, but stopped as it was tearing paper. Many of those coins in there now, came from a brown Dansco album I have with ugly toning. I do not know if they swapped any more, or if the guy I sold them to died and his estate sold them to current seller.

my Jan eBay sale

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This kind of misrepresentation is perpetrated all the time. I've sold a number of coin boards and albums that turned up a few weeks later filled with coins and offered as "Grandad's collection assembled 50 years ago."

The whole cult of "Wayte Raymond toning" is very misleading, as the results were more often disappointing, especially with any metal other than silver. Don't forget that "nickels" are 75% copper and tone accordingly.

I'm putting the finishing touches on a book about all the coin albums produced by Beistle, Raymond and Meghrig. Only the color photography remains to complete it, and I hope to have the book in print later this year.

If there was an absolutely fool proof method to impart attractive toning on coins in a consistent way, everyone one from skunky coin doctors to legitimate collectors would have done. Original toning can range from ugly corrosion to the great beauties for which some collectors pay very high prices. The variables include the storage device, the atmosphere in which the coins were stored, the substances the mint used to clean planchets, minor variations in the metallic alloy and factors too numerous to mention or unknown to most of us that fall in the "pure dumb luck" category.

The auction you linked shows Jeffersons that may have toned from Wayte Raymond boards, but most of them didn't. Those are Meghrig boards that I sold early January. The current seller is a different seller than the eBay handle I sold them to (although possibly the same person, as a couple of the pictures look like they could be a couple of mine cropped).. I did not have the album in my sale.

The kicker is those boards I bought individually from a seller a few years ago with some very nice BUs, but mostly circulated and incomplete. The pink stickers on lower right have a $5.00 price - I tried taking off the sticker on first page, but stopped as it was tearing paper. Many of those coins in there now, came from a brown Dansco album I have with ugly toning. I do not know if they swapped any more, or if the guy I sold them to died and his estate sold them to current seller.

my Jan eBay sale

Well he had me fooled. Thank you for pointing that out.

I am surprised the ugly brown toning came from Danscos though. I have never seen that kind of toning from a Dansco album. Ive seen pretty colorful toning on Jeffs from Danscos...

This is actually what I love about toned coins... you learn something new everyday and there are no absolutes when it comes to toning.

I should mention that I have no idea of the history of the Dansco I took them from. It is possible they were pulled from a Wayte Raymond board and put into this Dansco - I just know those boards you link in the auction did not have those coins for 50 years.

I have seen a wide range of toning in Dansco albums, from the very ugly to the very beautiful to not much at all. Besides the toning variables Bill Jones mentions, I suspect a couple more toning variables are -

1. If coins were dipped/cleaned with anything before putting in album (acetone, jewelluster, MS70,... and if they were neutralized or just water rinsed before putting in albums). I doubt many Jeffersons sets have had this, but apparently many BU silver sets were dipped white before putting in album.

2. If any oils or creams on hand of handler. This could be left-over fried chicken lunch, but more likely just natural sweat or a lotion of some kind.

3. The natural skin of the coin, and how much and what type of luster.

picture of rest of page from album taken (the later coins in this album are not nearly as bad as the first 2 pages - so I have no idea of source or how long they were there)

DSC07557_zps4df37b8e.jpg

Not mine...Just posted for educational reasons so newbies can see NT toning in its natural environment...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-1956-Unc-Jefferson-Nickels-Collection-3-Board-Vintage-Wayte-Raymond-Album-/251243661780?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3a7f4a09d4

But these results are somewhat typical of what WR toning usually looks like....Yes, sometimes WRs can produced nice colors but its usually on less then 10% of all the coins in the album...

at least the guy has a nice write up to go with it :)

This kind of misrepresentation is perpetrated all the time. I've sold a number of coin boards and albums that turned up a few weeks later filled with coins and offered as "Grandad's collection assembled 50 years ago."

The whole cult of "Wayte Raymond toning" is very misleading, as the results were more often disappointing, especially with any metal other than silver. Don't forget that "nickels" are 75% copper and tone accordingly.

I'm putting the finishing touches on a book about all the coin albums produced by Beistle, Raymond and Meghrig. Only the color photography remains to complete it, and I hope to have the book in print later this year.

I was glad to see Mr. Lange weigh in on this topic, now hopefully my suspicions will be aroused whenever I see an overly promoted group of coins like that as I did not look closely at the group of coins.