• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THIS ONE OR THAT ONE OR BOTH OR NIETHER. posted by Eagles-R-it

5 posts in this topic

Great question! I think it depends what your position is and what you are looking for.

If you are buying, then grey or below is obviously what you want to pay. If you are selling, then it would make sense that you would want one of the other two.

The second part of the equation is what are you looking for? If you are buying and looking for a hot item that is a high end investment/registry set upgrade coin, then you might be tossing the price guides to the side and have to pay what the market is demanding.

To me it is better to pay more and get exactly what you are looking for then hold out for a bargain and always be wondering what if.

That's my 2 cents on it. Best of luck and let us know what you use and why! I'm always interested in what other collectors do!

As I buy and sell in the club only, the NGC price guide works well for me. However there are a few times I am dealing with coins that have no values listed. Last week I sold a 1965 MS67FT dime. There is no values listed and the PCGS value was $1200??? As the 67FT is a low pop there were none on e-bay, Teletrade, or Heritage to compare. I may be investing in the gray sheet later this year to help me with pricing coins like this one.

Later--Rick

If you don't already make use of the Heritage auction archives, I would suggest that. If used smartly, it can serve as the best "guide" that there is.

You need to sign up for it, but it's free and offers a wealth of information.