• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peacock hoard question

20 posts in this topic

I had heard of this hoard before but never really paid much attention to it since im not a big fan of ikes but in a recent thread by tonerguy I learned the connection to my home city of Salt Lake so I did a little research. I read the very long thread ATS and one theory is a bank gave out plastic snap holders with cardboard inserts that toned the coins. I believe it was typetone who tracked down the bank and the bank claims they did indeed give out these holders as a promotion but they never had ikes in them only morgans and peace dollars. In the thread the bank name is never mentioned and there was a couple links to pictures of the holder but none of the links worked, so my question is does anyone know the bank name and or have a picture of the holder? I personally don't buy the theory of these holders toning the ikes and some believe the holders themselves are completely made up.

But as a kid I remember looking thru my moms coins she had in an ammo box in the closet and I remember a silver dollar in a plastic holder. After reading the thread ATS I called my Mom and asked her about it, she called awhile later and said yes she did have what I was asking for. Well today I went by and got it from her and it is a plastic snap case with a white insert with a banks name on it with a morgan dollar in it. My Mom has no idea when, where, or how she got this coin but who knows maybe its one from this bank. I will post pictures tomorrow and I really hope someone here knows the name of the bank.

Nick

If you didnt get the bank name from the thread that is 10+ yrs old ATS... I am not sure if you will get it now...

Honestly, I dont think anyone will say even if they did know... the secrecy keeps the magic and the story of the Peacock Hoard alive...and believable.

Ok......I feel bold tonight......although I will probably be flamed to the point of ashes.

But.....does it really matter about the ledgend(story) behind it

Can't we just take it for what it is at face value and move on?

I don't think anyone will find out the entire story and the more it continues in the

past the more difficult it will be.

Ok......I feel bold tonight......although I will probably be flamed to the point of ashes.

I don't think anyone will find out the entire story and the more it continues in the

All mysteries beg to be solved... its human nature...

UFOs, Loch Ness Monster, Sasquatch, ghosts... people like to know the story behind or an explanation to legends and stories.

UFOs, Loch Ness Monster, Sasquatch, ghosts... people like to know the story behind or an explanation to legends and stories.

Good point :)

I swear I heard the Sasquatch last night but I guess it was the wind ;)

Just having fun.

Tonerguy is right.

I certianly won't be the one that solves the mystery, I just recently learned about it and think its good to discuss such things from time to time. While for some it may be old news and a subject that goes nowhere, for some like me its new and interesting maybe like a new detective on a cold case something new may come up. Probably not but who knows.

This is the coin my mom had, it may be completly unrelated but she thinks it came from a bank in salt lake sometime in the seventies or early eighties. Her memory is not as sharpe as it once was so it was hard to get any real facts, knowing my mom it couldn't really have come to her any other way, she just collected interesting things from pocket change i.e. wheats, buffs, misc. foreign coins. Anyway I won't beat a dead horse, just thought I would try and connect a few dots. Thanks for your time.

Nick

1362883919520_zpsb034244c.jpg

BS

All I can say is from my side, everything I have mentioned is to my knowledge 100% accurate. Granted I can understand your skepticm.

I will add this, the first federal savings in Salt Lake City was established in 1920 and aquired by washington federal in 1994 which would follow the story of typetone, this his his qouted text from ATS

"I traced down the bank who did the promotion through several ownership changes. It is now a SLC branch of Washington Mutual. Problem is, the head of marketing at the bank says they never put IKEs in the holders. They only used Morgans. And, as far as I know we don't have any PKOK toned Morgans!! He certainly was sure they did not use any proof IKEs, and we do have proof IKE PKOKs. He named an employeee who was in charge of the program. Call him Mr. XXX. Mr. XXX is now retired. I tried to talk to Mr. XXX, but the marketing head said he would not agree to talk to me. The marketing head says they do not have any more of the coins in the bank vault"

I couldn't give a rip about the story. Its all hype and bollocks.

All I care about is the coins. And I can say from the several that I've seen in hand - the toning on these Peacock coins is highly suspicious. I personally would never buy one - they look as fake as fake can be. The premiums these things garner is ridiculous for such questionable stuff.

Not "BS" about the background - the silly name given to a sales scheme, that's the BS part.

Not "BS" about the background - the silly name given to a sales scheme, that's the BS part.

Thanks for the clarification Roger and to be honest I tend to agree with you.

Nick

All I can say is from my side, everything I have mentioned is to my knowledge 100% accurate. Granted I can understand your skepticm.

I will add this, the first federal savings in Salt Lake City was established in 1920 and aquired by washington federal in 1994 which would follow the story of typetone, this his his qouted text from ATS

"I traced down the bank who did the promotion through several ownership changes. It is now a SLC branch of Washington Mutual. Problem is, the head of marketing at the bank says they never put IKEs in the holders. They only used Morgans. And, as far as I know we don't have any PKOK toned Morgans!! He certainly was sure they did not use any proof IKEs, and we do have proof IKE PKOKs. He named an employeee who was in charge of the program. Call him Mr. XXX. Mr. XXX is now retired. I tried to talk to Mr. XXX, but the marketing head said he would not agree to talk to me. The marketing head says they do not have any more of the coins in the bank vault"

You might have found the "holy grail" of toned Ike collectors... the fountain of Peacock - so to speak - I wonder what the plastic holder would fetch on Ebay ?

Thanks to e1cnr for bringing up a few old threads. Reading thru them I can see why some are sick of the conversation, I mean you can only ride a meri-go-round for so long. I personally have little interest in the hoard other than the salt lake city connection and I can see it's something that will go nowhere fast. I think my holder does fits the account typetone mentions but it's most likely the holder tale was just part of the story. Just in case I will be looking for a nice proof ike to put in it and see what happens.

Nick

Also one thing I forgot to mention, the morgan in the holder I have was toned, to what extent im not sure because my mother decided to clean it with some silver cleaner :facepalm:

Nick

I like compound mysteries, Sasquatch ghosts, Lock Ness monsters inside UFOs et cetera.

Also one thing I forgot to mention, the morgan in the holder I have was toned, to what extent im not sure because my mother decided to clean it with some silver cleaner :facepalm:

Nick

Is there no double face palm emoticon ! :facepalm:

Nick

Is there no double face palm emoticon ! :facepalm:

No kidding!! I wanted to freak out when she told me but all I could think about was the time I was lighting the strings on some coats and started the closet on fire or the time I shot the fish tank with my bb gun and flooded our hardwood floor. Guess karma does strike back.

Nick