• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1847-O $2.5 gold GTG

20 posts in this topic

Does the winner receive this coin as a prize for the correct guess?? Haha! From the looks of the picture, is this a mint error? Maybe rotated dies? I see that the obverse pictures show the prongs are at their normal position when viewing the holder square. But the reverse picture shows the prongs are turned quite a bit. As far as grade goes, I'd say anywhere between a 61-64. I'm not that good when it comes to gold.

I didn't notice the rotated die before. I'll send it in for designation (I was gonna send it anyways for a potential upgrade). It's in an NGC slab btw

Those are poor images by which to try to provide a meaningful grade guess, as the lighting precludes a good look at the surfaces and details. In fact, it results in a cleaned appearance.

The above notwithstanding,I will guess AU58.

It's already in a slab and doesn't have the Mint Error/Rotated Die designation? Seems to me that whoever owned this coin before either didn't notice it or didn't want to pay the $12 for the designation!

It's in an NGC slab, & does not carry a "details" grade. Come on, the pics aren't that bad. I've seen you guys throw grades out at much worse. Really? Cleaned? Support the claim. Even with these "terrible" pics the coin doesn't seem glossy or carry polishing or whiz marks. I'll give you a hint: the coin has been graded MS by NGC.

We indicated that we were limited by the photographs and that this could be the reason that some have suspected that there are issues with the coin. With this said, the photographs are truly that bad . We cannot adequately assess the surfaces or luster. The photograph does make the coin look odd. Sorry. It might look nice in hand, but we have no way of knowing that based on the image.

I agree that pictures are bad, but I cannot see any rub on the high points of the coin either. I don't see any big distracting marks. I would guess 62-63 based on This photo. I like the coin Jobessi!

From the OP on the PCGS forum:

"There's this guy At ATS forum that bashes every pic I post as not gradable, and constantly refers my picks as newbie mistakes. (Cleaned, tooled, etc.) It's not just your run of the mill criticism. I recently posted a SLABBED coin from his former employer, and he still claims that it has been cleaned/altered, lol! I just want to chat about coins, and I'm supposed to basically take the unwarranted bullying bc he's a former grader? If the old fart would take a second to look, I hold two top 10 registry sets, and some of those were bought raw. The weird thing is that he has a following...members will state positive things about the coin, and then change their tune after he chimes in. I think I'm just going to take my sets down, and chill out over here next to the water cooler. Stupid rant, I know. I just thought this hobby was supposed to be fun. "

If you have a gripe, why not deal with it directly, here?

Even though you obviously didn't ask, I will address your remarks.

1) Unless you have only posted a few pictures, total, ever, I haven't criticized "every" picture you posted, much less bashed them. As I recall, it has occurred twice recently.

2) To my knowledge, I brought up the subject of "newbie" exactly one time. That doesn' sound like "constantly" to me. And my comment was to the effect that I was surprised that anyone other than a total newbie (which you aren't) would expect to receive meaningful feedback on whether a Proof Morgan Dollar would cross at a specific grade, based on an on-line image. I stand by that.

3) In this very thread, I provided a specific grade guess. So much for you comment "bashes every pic I post as not gradable".

4) I did not claim that the coin you posted in this thread "has been cleaned/altered". I wrote "Those are poor images by which to try to provide a meaningful grade guess, as the lighting precludes a good look at the surfaces and details. In fact, it results in a cleaned appearance.

The above notwithstanding,I will guess AU58."

5) I try to provide helpful, meaningful feedback, whether it ends up being positive or critical. You need not like it or pay any attention to it. But the fact that you don't like it doesn't make me a "bully" or my comments "unwarranted".

6) The fact that you have registry sets says nothing about your images or your posts.

7) I don't think I have ever used the word "tooled" with respect to a coin you have posted. Please correct me in a very public fashion if I am mistaken.

I do understand, however, why you have a problem with my posts. I tend to be very straightforward and prefer to be factual. Based on your post, you, on the other hand, don't appear to be too concerned with the latter.

So as not to interfere with your enjoyment of the hobby, I will try to remember not to participate in future threads of yours.

You haven't looked at the thread ATS recently have you. I noted that I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person & over sensitive. I tend to have a hot temper. A side effect of being a "younger" executive in a "seasoned" man's world where you get judged and criticized at every turn. I took it out on here & I shouldn't have. It was a picture, a silly picture and I blew up. Sorry. doh!

You haven't looked at the thread ATS recently have you. I noted that I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person & over sensitive. I tend to have a hot temper. A side effect of being a "younger" executive in a "seasoned" man's world where you get judged and criticized at every turn. I took it out on here & I shouldn't have. It was a picture, a silly picture and I blew up. Sorry. doh!

No problem and thanks.

In all sincerity, it will be your choice as to whether I post to or refrain from posting to any of your threads. I do try to be helpful to others and it is my wish that collectors enjoy the hobby and their coins.

Post away. I just need to learn how to not to take things outside of work so seriously. I have to transition my thinking better.

Best of luck with that - if you can do it, you will get a lot more enjoyment.

From what I can see in the images you posted, the coin looks very clean. So now knowing that it has been graded uncirculated, I will guess MS63.

By the way, my original grade guess of AU58 was based upon portions of the eagle's wings. But, even with very good images, it can be very difficult to distinguish between slight weakness in strike from a hint of wear.

This is a nice pricey coin

I have a question about the bright white coming from around the coin ->

is this coin on a lighted stage or mirror? I am trying to figure out how the white around the coin is so much whiter than the NGC prong insert.