• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan Silver Dollar Set from "Dr. Koelle Hoard"

11 posts in this topic

Did you see that on ebay? When I did a search one of the links was to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-OF-A-KIND-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-Set-from-the-Heralded-Dr-Koelle-Hoard-/130850953684?nma=true&si=NLqjAxWGqoR8nFxwGS2MUSv9vjg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'll keep looking around, but based on what Mark said and this listing, I think someone on ebay was trying to create something. Auction ended with 0 bidders.

I saw a few things. They might be from a large lot that was sold at a Stacks auction in 1993. There's a Dr. J Marcus Koelle collection listed in the auction catalog. Maybe the same guy? Who knows. Not sure that would make it worth any more though. Just his personal hoard

Ancient and foreign gold, silver and copper coins : featuring the superb collections of the gold coins of Mexico and gold and silver coins of Peru, selections from the collection of Dr. Alfred R. Globus, and special world coins from the collections of Dr. J. Marcus Koelle, Dr. Carlo P. Cabibi and Mrs. Shirley Koelle Cabibi.

Dr. J. Marcus Koelle

a collector of many items Dr. J. Marcus Koelle and being sold since the early 1990s in auction and at retail in many smaller venues

the dr did have a large accumulation of unc. common morgan dollars marketed and presented to sell as a hoard something special

other than that i really dont know more

Sounds like marketing hype. Don't pay a premium for it.

Dr. Koelle is a man, with a name. Mr Eliasberg was a man, with a name. The coins look the same no matter what.

Sounds like marketing hype. Don't pay a premium for it.

Dr. Koelle is a man, with a name. Mr Eliasberg was a man, with a name. The coins look the same no matter what.

So you are saying there is no value added for any pedigree? That is blatantly false. Some collectors are known for their extremely high quality collections, or a significant contribution to the numismatic community. Purchasing coins from their collections certainly is worthwhile, and most collectors would pay a premium for it. Coins from people like Eliasberg, Bass, Norweb - or even Riever, Jack Lee, Osburn, or other famous collections - are more desirable for their pedigree.

Someone who had a pile of dollars and got some marketing hype are not (or should not be) worth more. Notable examples would be Redfield, Binion, Omaha Bank, and whoever the dude is from the collection in the OP. Why should I care about coins from these hoards? I don't.

Pedigrees are artificial rarities, in my opinion, much like VAMs.

Any bozo with $100,000,000 dollars could put together a world class collection. It doesn't improve the technical grade or eye appeal of the coin in question.