• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying gold bars!

28 posts in this topic

I was looking to purchase a 100 gram gold bar to stash away in a safe deposit box, in case of an emergency. Plus, it would be cool to own a large chunk of gold. Is Ampex a good company? Are there any others you recommend?

Thanks,

Mike

I hear Texmetals is good and cheaper than most you'll find.
I just checked. They are cheaper than Ampex. They only carry 1 ounce and 10 ounce bars. I do like the look though.

OK. What will it cost you to sell the bars? Don't assume a buyer will accept what's stamped on the bar by a private company.

OK. What will it cost you to sell the bars? Don't assume a buyer will accept what's stamped on the bar by a private company.

Good point. Gold in the form of coins such as AGE's or Maple Leafs are far easier to buy and sell and doesn't need to be assayed.

I've purchased a lot from APMEX (Silver) and while you pay a higher price, they are professional and reliable. You can purchase a variety of bars made from different sources. If you buy their bars, they will buy them back from you.

I have recently been sampling from JM Bullion out of Chicago. So far so good. They are a little less expensive than APMEX.

Good point. Gold in the form of coins such as AGE's or Maple Leafs are far easier to buy and sell and doesn't need to be assayed.

I originally wanted a double eagle Liberty or Saint Gaudens. I looked at MS62 and MS63 grades of several coins. The cheek marks were killing it for me. I don't care much for dirty gold either. With MS64 and MS65 grades, there's too much of a premium. New coins aren't really an option for me. I either want something old that looks good or a large chunk/bar of gold.

Well, a large "chunk" of gold will be either very expensive or very small. (100 grams = 3.215074 oz. or about 1x2.5x0.15-inches - underwhelmingly unimpressive. A kilogram bar is about the size of a small box of crayons or a cigarette pack.)

If you are buying for any reason other than as a coin collector, then you want liquidity - and that means US, Canadian, Australian, Austrian, etc. bullion gold 1-oz pieces or fractions.

Contact several larger sellers of “pretty” gold bars and find out what they will pay for the bars you want to own.

Internationally, gold is sold only in "good delivery" bars cast by a handful of refiners. All the rest are "slices" of those bars, and the cost goes up with each slice.

Of course, buy what you want to own, but do it with your eyes open about expectations.

A kilogram bar [31,130.4768 grams] is about the size of a small box of crayons or a cigarette pack.)

I think you mean 1 kilogram is 1000 grams or 32.15 Troy ounces.

Well, I have found a nice bar on the AMPEX site. It's in an assay card, which is a plus for me. I have owned smaller Pamp Suisse bars. Also, my wife likes the design on this one. A whopping 5 ounces.

http://www.apmex.com/Product/59448/5_oz_Pamp_Suisse_Gold_Bar_9999_Fine_In_assay.aspx

One more question. Is gold dropping in price? I thought it was higher yesterday.

I was looking to purchase a 100 gram gold bar to stash away in a safe deposit box, in case of an emergency. Plus, it would be cool to own a large chunk of gold. Is Ampex a good company? Are there any others you recommend?

Apmex is a good choice in my opinion, not necessarily "the best", but you'll get a very fair product for the money.

Well, I have found a nice bar on the AMPEX site. It's in an assay card, which is a plus for me. I have owned smaller Pamp Suisse bars. Also, my wife likes the design on this one. A whopping 5 ounces.

http://www.apmex.com/Product/59448/5_oz_Pamp_Suisse_Gold_Bar_9999_Fine_In_assay.aspx

One more question. Is gold dropping in price? I thought it was higher yesterday.

Pamp Suisse is a good choice, they are very collectable and you will have no problem selling it if needs be.

Nick

The 5 oz bar is nice!!!

I got to hold a kilo engelhard gold bar a few years back at a b&m.....it was the size of a hersheys bar but with some heft to it!! Imagine that bar around your neck!

Good choice as the pamp has a assay card.

The one your wife likes has a premium of $250 to $500.

Market value of gold will fluctuate daily…down, up, sideways, upside-down….

Did you ask a different company what they will pay for the Swiss bar you like from APMEX?

The current sell price is $8148.95 (went down $4 in 3 minutes)

Buy Price: $7,904.00

* This is the price APMEX will pay you when selling your items to APMEX. Subject to certain minimums.

A kilogram bar [31,130.4768 grams] is about the size of a small box of crayons or a cigarette pack.)

I got the bar today, and was happy with the size and quality. :)

5ouncegoldbar001.jpg

5ouncegoldbar002.jpg

I got the bar today, and was happy with the size and quality. :)

5ouncegoldbar001.jpg

5ouncegoldbar002.jpg

:cloud9:^^

Thanks guys. Seems Roger compared the size to a cigarette pack, I thought I would include one in the pic. I would say the bar is almost exaclty half the size of the pack. (lengh and width).