• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this look Proof Cameo in these pictures?

12 posts in this topic

I took these pics of some 1978 S Proofs I took out of a rolll of UC coins. I was just wondering if anyone thought the cameo was coming through in the pictures? Maybe they aren't cameo at all. Look it to me. I think they would grade really high.

135153.jpg.82a7a0f9b9e4b00234664bea888714e5.jpg

135154.jpg.d241ff4eb89fedcfae5baf788cd46c99.jpg

135155.jpg.d96ec8c8e3ff23aedeffa3bddb0c22d9.jpg

135156.jpg.ac1f513416c2529633c970a9a135188d.jpg

135157.jpg.73b45c596299520bf0b9cc5b93538a0f.jpg

I do see some cameos in there. They are really not that uncommon for 1978. From 1972 and on, the mint progressed much better in creating the cameo proofs than earlier years before.

Yeah I am definitely aware that this is no special year or anything really special about them at all but I can't for the life of me understand why a person would not pay $2.25 with shipping included for a coin that would bring anywhere between $10 to $20 depending upon the grade.

These things are flawless. I would be hard pressed to understand if any of them came back graded below a 67 cameo. Maybe I will just have to save my money and submit them all myself. I have another roll of them as well that I haven't opened.

Like I was saying though I just couldn't understand why I have not had one single person interested in spending $2.25 for that coin. Was just wondering if my pictures were not any good at demonstrating the quality of the coins.

The uncommon part is that you found them in uncirculated rolls. Anyhow, the top photo is the best for seeing the cameo, especially the one on the right, the reverse picture shows cameo as well.

They certainly are beautiful cameo coins. I guess the real cost would be in having them sent in and graded by NGC by a normal Joe like me. I would then never ever get my money back time you pay for all that, even if they grade 67 Cameo.

You would probably be better of just selling the other Roll Outright for a pre determined amount

Jim

Yeah I see what you are talking about. They would have to grade UltraCameo PF70 to make it really worthwhile.

Did I understand it correct that NGC you have to send in minimum 5 coins at a time? After I registered I noticed that. I registered over at PCGS and used them for my two gold coins since they don't have a minimum coin submission. Maybe I read that wrong on the submission pricing.

wdrob,

I am new to this so my knowledge base is very small! I don't think you have to have a minimum of 5 coins at NGC. The first coins I sent had a coupon for 5 coins but I don't think that is a minimum for submissions. Let's see if anyone chimes in....Help?

On the Economy and Modern coins grading tiers, there is a 5 coin minimum. On the other tiers, such as Earlybird, Walkthrough, Express Walkthrough, Highvalue, etc. there is no minimum requirement.

I do see some cameos in there. They are really not that uncommon for 1978. From 1972 and on, the mint progressed much better in creating the cameo proofs than earlier years before.
that they did and made some real beauties as well

Thank's for the info on the NGC pricing. I had misread it and now I see what they have going on. Oh well. I guess it can't hurt to be registered at both places.

Does anyone know if an ICG Graded Coin would stand a chance cross over .... I guess what I am asking is does ICG have a good track record of proper grading by anyone personal experience.

I ask this because I did buy a ICG Graded MS64 and will probably send it to NGC or PCGS for crossover but if they don't have a good record then maybe I will just dump it on another sucker like me.

Ohh... And what about ANACS. Any advice on them.

Good coins can still be found in ICG and ANACS holders although they do not have the reputation that PCGS and NGC enjoy. The old ANACS coins are fairly accurate and are usually within a point. ICG coins graded when they first started (i.e. barcodes on the front of the slab) are usually more accurately graded than the newer slabs made after the ICG-ANACS debacle a few years ago. In any event, the older ICG coins were usually within a point of the NGC and PCGS grade with the exception of moderns. Some non-moderns will cross at grade. The higher the grade of the coin and the more valuable, the less likely it is to cross of course.

Bottom line: I wouldn't completely disregard ANACS or ICG coins.

Thanks for that explanation and advice on those two. I am starting to get a better picture of how not loose so much money!