• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rotated Reverse Mint Error Morgan and Peace Dollars

9 posts in this topic

I'm clearing out some of my collections to make room for new coins and to finish some sets. I have a few mint error coins that I would like to sell, but I'm not trying to sell them on this thread. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can expect to get out of them, or if I should just hang on to them for a while. I'm not a mint error collector, so I don't really know how I should price these. I know these are common date/mintmark coins but are these kinds of rotations and degree of rotations rare, or not so much? Any help from the serious error collectors out there is greatly appreciated.

1886-O NGC graded-XF45

45 degree CW Rotation

SAM_0400_zpsaa820879.jpg

1889-O NGC graded-F12

45 degree CW Rotation

SAM_0401_zps84f8b7a0.jpg

1904-O NGC Graded-G6

45 degree CCW Rotation

SAM_0402_zps4be337ca.jpg

1923 NGC graded-AU55

60 degree CW Rotation

SAM_0403_zpsfeeb6123.jpg

While I would not call dramatically rotated die coins overly common, they also aren't uncommon especially for 19th century and early 20th century issues. I don't see there being any premium in most instances. This would include the coins that you have posted.

Those appear to be rotated 30-45 degrees. This usually isn't a great amount, so it would be hard to guess what some of the bidiots on FleaBay would be willing to pay.

Chris

Rotations that minor receive little premium (or at least, they should receive little premium). They are fairly common.

Once the rotation gets to be above 90 degrees, they are worth more of a premium. The best, and the rarest, are the 180 degree rotations.

Rotations that minor receive little premium (or at least, they should receive little premium). They are fairly common.

Once the rotation gets to be above 90 degrees, they are worth more of a premium. The best, and the rarest, are the 180 degree rotations.

The most common are 360° errors.

The best, and the rarest, are the 180 degree rotations

Except on 1807 S-276 draped bust large cents or 1864 two cent pieces which are commonly found with 180 degree rotations.

The '23 just sold for $308.75 on Ebay. Started the auction off at $35. Originally paid $150 for the coin. Pretty good profit margin there. I dont juice up my listings or make false claims. I just let the coins speak for themselves!

The '23 just sold for $308.75 on Ebay. Started the auction off at $35. Originally paid $150 for the coin. Pretty good profit margin there. I dont juice up my listings or make false claims. I just let the coins speak for themselves!

Congratulations; I'm pleasantly surprised. Usually these don't garner much of a premium with minor rotation. I'm glad it worked out for you. (thumbs u

The other's sold, but didnt do as well as the '23! But I am still haply with the results. It'll help me further my collection of Morgan's. And should also help fund the costs for research books and other research materials.