• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Second Chance Offer Question

16 posts in this topic

I just received a second chance offer in my email on an item that I did bid on. What seems squirrelly to me is that I didn't get a message in my ebay messages. Also, the email I received asks me to contact the seller directly and not through ebay. Second chance offers come in ebay messages don't they? Anyone get a second chance offer recently who can confirm this for me?

Thanks for any insight! Winston

Second chance offer makes little sense to me. An item sells, gets returned or the buyer does not pay, etc.. So the next on the totem pole gets contacted who was in the bidding leading up to the final hammer.

"Hey, remember me? You were bidding on one of my items and because you are such a wonderful person I have decided to offer to you at your last bid. Interested?"

Plus ebay has said that terms outside of their system are against their rules in the case cited very likely.

I would just rerun returned items without reserve or sell them outright elsewhere.

I'll give you an example, I sell a sling starting at 29.99 with a BIN at 34.99. I list it for a week hoping that is too long for somebody to want to wait and they just use the BIN. Most of the time, if somebody bids 29.99 it is early, like on the first day, now I have to wait a week to sell it and list another. However, from my experience and it happens frequently, the bidding on that sling goes over the 34.99 so I offer them to all the bidders that made high bids, I simply say I have an extra.

Now I know for coins that doesn't work as well, however there are many people who buy lots of 10 ASE graded MS 70 that it would work for, or lincolns graded RD, or proof Clad dimes, qtrs, halves, you get the idea. you save listing fees on 2nd chance offers. Just payFV

Added: sometimes the second chance offers get paid for before the original sale

I just received a second chance offer in my email on an item that I did bid on. What seems squirrelly to me is that I didn't get a message in my ebay messages. Also, the email I received asks me to contact the seller directly and not through ebay. Second chance offers come in ebay messages don't they? Anyone get a second chance offer recently who can confirm this for me?

A second chance offer is just that. If you placed a bid on a coin that you are comfortable with and the seller offers the coin at your bid price, it doesn't matter why the eBay listing did not result in a sale on eBay.

The seller is looking to bypass eBay fees. If you are comfortable in what you are paying for the coin and you trust the seller then go ahead with the transaction. Look at the sellers history. If there are no negatives you're probably good with proceeding with the sale. If you have any doubts, walk away.

Carl

how did the seller get your email address?

These second chance offers that are email only are often fraudulent. Accounts are hijacked, etc.....I'd pass on it if I were you. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

how did the seller get your email address?

Good question (shrug)

These second chance offers that are email only are often fraudulent. Accounts are hijacked, etc.....I'd pass on it if I were you. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's what I'm thinking. Thanks

His shill bidder accidently won the auction and now he wants to see if you will buy it for you max bid.

Or like the others said, it's fraud.

I generally walk away from any second chance offers.

I would only accept a second chance offer that came through the ebay system. Direct second chance offers have a long history of fraud. It is one main reason why ebay forced everyone to use a handle rather than their email address. (In the early years of ebay most people used their email addresses for their identity. This lead to a rash of direct fraudulent second chance offers.)

There has been a number of fraudulent second chance offers, of late. I rec'd one on Friday that at first blush looked legit, but after analysis, I found these problems (below) and notified ebay. I discussed with another collecting friend, and he recently received one as well, also the first time in a long time.

The originating email address was not ebay.com (ebay-ie.com)

The lower case "k" in my last name

Encouraging to contact seller outside eBay

The link to the item does not work

Some mention of ebay Europe in the email despite that the item originated about ten miles from my house

I cannot find the message when I log into eBay

They are giving the coin away