• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Mystery of the 58 Franklin Proof

14 posts in this topic

Results are in "as the coin turns"

Received the 1958 Franklin Proof I bought the other day that was listed using a strange photo, anyway strange looking to me. Well, I now can report that it was the way the photo was taken. It is not a new variety, (boo) but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right ?! I have included the photo (again) that was used in the ad beside a photo of the coin I took tonight so you can see. FYI the ad photo is on the left.

Mike

13147.jpg

See more journals by moondoggy

MD, those two look like totally different coins. The imperfections on each just don't match up. And what exactly were you looking at that made you think it was a new variety?

The top of Franklins head was way off and the U and last T in the word TRUST had what looked like "tabs" on the upper left of the U and the right end of the cross bar of the T. I actually tried to duplicate the ad's photo with moving lighting around, exposure, etc and couldn't get it. Oh well, back to pursuing my hunt for more great proof Franklins.

Mike

Hello:

I am no pro, but it looks like the ad was either taken under a halogen light or the individual has a very strong flash on their camera. The hair lines are Barely visible in your photo, but stand out like a sore thumb in theirs. I congratulate them on their honesty posting such a photo. The internet NEEDS more sellers with such ethics in representing their products.

I am guessing the flash / light strength is also responsible for the added details, such as the gentleman pointed out on the letters. And I would agree with the gentleman who made the cameo comment as well. With the dearth of cameo Franklin coins, if the reverse shows up nearly as well, a submission might be warranted.

I am a photoghper mostly portraits and landscapes I'm learning how to shoot coins as I go. But IMHO it looks like he had a very strong halogen light or flash coming from the left side only with nothing filling in the light. that is why the whole left side looks so bright. But like I said thats just IMHO.....Mike

On closer look, there are 7 ticks on Franky's jaw that are on both photos. So, will say that I was wrong about them being two different coins. They are definitely the same and show how different a coin can look under different lighting and different photographers.

Wow, what a difference, glad to see the hairlines were on the holder.

The hairlines were not on the holder because in the sellers picture, on the left, there is no holder! The hairlines are on the coin, you just can't see them in the picture on the right. If he were to take a different angle, different lighting, you would surely see the hairlines.

This is not complicated stuff, why are people having such a hard time interpreting photos of this coin?

Actually the hairlines are there, they just do not show up in my photo as I under-exposed a bit. The year 1958 had a problem with these "hairlines". It is not that uncommon to see these on 1958 Franklins.

Mike

on the original photo the coin was at an angle while you took our photo head on, the lights were at different angles also, notice how the back of the head, front of face and some of the letters in LIBERTY bloom on the original while yours appears more black, I looked at it this morning and didn't have time to post or I would have said the same thing about some of the ticks.