• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab Boxes

19 posts in this topic

I've bought a few 12 slab hardwood presentation boxes from APMEX. They hold both the NGC and PCGS slabs very well, with a tight fit. They also have a 30 slab hardwood box, but it's somewhat expensive. Last I saw, the 30 slab boxes were around $70-75 per box and the 12 slab boxes are $30-35 per box.

Thank you. I'm looking for one that holds 20 & easy to carry around if I need to. I was looking to get a plastic one from PCGS, NGC, whitman etc., but not sure which is the best, or if they're all about the same.

The Whitman blue box sucks, and doesn't really hold anything well.

The PCGS box is ok if the only thing you have is PCGS slabs. As you would expect from them, they are not accommodating of other types of slabs.

By a wide margin, the NGC grey boxes are the best. They hold all types of slabs, new and old, and are the only type I would recommend buying.

I have NGC, PCGS and Intercept shield boxes.

#1: NGC, fits all slabs nicelly

#2: Intercept Shield, doesn't do well with older NGC slabs

#3: PCGS: only works well with their slabs. Won't close properly with NGC slabs and Anacs slabs aren't secure either.

I bought the intercept shield boxes on ebay for a reasonable price to try them out, but don't really like them as much as NGC boxes. I will not buy anymore PCGS boxes. They are a one trick pony.

I use the NGC boxes for PCGS, NGC and old ANACS slabs and they work fine.

I've also seen dealers with cardboard boxes that hold slabs - they seem to be preferred for carrying inventory to shows.

I recall the Whitman blue plastic slab boxes, but haven't seen anyone using them.

Wizard Coin Supply seems to have a nice selection of plastic and cardboard boxes.

#3: PCGS: only works well with their slabs. Won't close properly with NGC slabs and Anacs slabs aren't secure either.

For #2, I am assuming that you are referring to the PCGS/NGC track boxes, in which case I would agree. I have, however, had no problems with the normal slab boxes (i.e. those that have the individual sleeves with the plastic windows.

For #3: I concur. Although obvious, I'll also throw out there that the newer slab boxes don't holder rattlers that well either.

For #2, I am assuming that you are referring to the PCGS/NGC track boxes, in which case I would agree. I have, however, had no problems with the normal slab boxes (i.e. those that have the individual sleeves with the plastic windows.

For #3: I concur. Although obvious, I'll also throw out there that the newer slab boxes don't holder rattlers that well either.

I have 2 Intercept Shield boxes, both the same type. They do not have plastic windows.

I have 2 Intercept Shield boxes, both the same type. They do not have plastic windows.

You're definitely referring to the so called "track" boxes. Intercept Shield also made slab boxes for certified coins that came with individual sleeves that were placed in a lined box. These have windows. I actually like both. The track boxes were ideal for shipping in my opinion. Unfortunately, I was only able to buy one of those before they were discontinued (or at least production was halted).

You're definitely referring to the so called "track" boxes. Intercept Shield also made slab boxes for certified coins that came with individual sleeves that were placed in a lined box. These have windows. I actually like both. The track boxes were ideal for shipping in my opinion. Unfortunately, I was only able to buy one of those before they were discontinued (or at least production was halted).

I bought them off ebay for a reasonable price. I wanted to try them. My experience with them is they hold current pcgs and current NGC slabs well. Some of the older NGC bow the sides of the holder making it difficult to pull the top off.

I will only be using the NGC silver boxes from here on out. They handle all the slabs varieties by the two major TPG's and ANACS with out a problem.