• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1885 CC GSA Morgan Dollar

18 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm relatively new here. I've been lurking longer than I've been a forum member and appreciate the knowledge and insight I've gathered here.

Posted below is an 1885 CC Morgan Dollar in a GSA Holder that I purchased recently as part of my GSA CC Morgan collection. I have yet to submit any of my GSA collection for grading but will do so sometime in the near future.

It appears to be a VAM-3 "CC Tilted Left" variety. Also, the reverse has some bag toning that is more attractive in hand.

Any thoughts on grade would be appreciated. I can upload higher res pics if necessary.

1885-CCMorganGSA-OBV_zpsf05c5d9a.jpg

1885-CCMorganGSA-REV_zps71d1d2b2.jpg

64. There are too many marks in prime focal areas to grade any higher in my opinion.

Kenny, the "prime focal areas" are Liberty's cheek and the eagle. And even in the largely magnified images, those areas are very clean.

Here is the first MS65 for the date I found. And even in smaller images, the obverse looks worse to me than the one on the coin in this thread.

Thanks for your guesses and comments. I personally think it is a 64+ and possibly a 65. The dealer told me it may grade 65 but since it wasn't TPG graded, we settled in the 64 range.

Once I submit it, I'll report back what NGC's opinion is.

Yeah, I know they don't recognize the VAM-3. I've noted the VAM attributes on my spreadsheet even if NGC doesn't identify them.

NGC just received this coin today so I should be able to update this thread with a grade soon.