• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the shekel story on Pawn Stars last night?

14 posts in this topic

All of the so-called "reality" shows are cheap BS. Anyone who watched the "live" Gold Rush thing last week gat a glimpse of how bad they really are when not carefully edited and narrated.

The resolution was totally silly. The coin was stolen, but the insurance company paid the collector, so now it's okay? Why doesn't the insurance company have the right to recover the item since they paid for the loss? How many salvage companies have had to deal with years of court battles because insurance company X paid a claim in the 19th century and now claim title to the salvaged property more than 150 years later?

As for the show it's entertaining to see with what the "clients" bring in and speculate as to what it is worth. The silly plot lines with Chumley and Co. are less interesting.

Rick got the coin back from PCGS. It would have been interesting to have seen the grade or their opinion as the effects of the cleaning. I don't collect ancient coins, but it has been my understanding the cleaning is far less important on those pieces because it's almost an assumption that they would have had to have been cleaned somewhere down the line because so many of them are covered in centuries old crud.

All of the so-called "reality" shows are cheap BS. Anyone who watched the "live" Gold Rush thing last week gat a glimpse of how bad they really are when not carefully edited and narrated.

The whole mother lode thing really pissed me off...nobody hit the mother lode, they just lead viewers on making them think someone found some massive deposit of gold when in reality we were seeing the group with the largest gold recovery throughout the season and no large deposit was ever found....

Yep...and they neglected to mention how much was lost by the disorganized father-son combination and their poor operating practices. Maybe that's the pull of the show -- having main players who are so inept that viewers think gold placer mining is easy. The 4 guys working the smaller site were the only ones who seemed to know what they were doing - and they recovered much more gold than anyone. The Klondike guy, Beets?, was the only one who knew how to placer mine.

Interesting that producers left out the assay and refining parts, too.

It would seem to me that since they had screwed up several times and blewn out so much gold at the back of the sluice box that they could have dug up dirt at the bottom of that pond right in front of the sluice and ran that through to recover some of the gold...perhaps to simple and idea but if the gold is heavy it should sink pretty quick and there should be a concentration within 10 feet of the end no?

Yep -- I was thinking that too. All the rocks were gone, so it should have been easy pickins.

Maybe gold miners are not as smart as coin collectors..... :)

I followed the 'Gold Rush" season and was wondering, who keeps a crate full of Ball jars filled with raw gold at the mine site? The operators keep saying how much their daily costs are, I thought they were taking the gold in to assay offices like weekly and selling it to buy equipment, fuel, parts and groceries.

I doubt very seriously they let their hard earned gold out of their sight at that Portland live airing. I'm glad young Schnabel got a 30 ounce clean-out at the very end though, he sure did have a tough haul all season.

Dakota Fred can eat my shorts.

I followed the 'Gold Rush" season and was wondering, who keeps a crate full of Ball jars filled with raw gold at the mine site? The operators keep saying how much their daily costs are, I thought they were taking the gold in to assay offices like weekly and selling it to buy equipment, fuel, parts and groceries.

I doubt very seriously they let their hard earned gold out of their sight at that Portland live airing. I'm glad young Schnabel got a 30 ounce clean-out at the very end though, he sure did have a tough haul all season.

Dakota Fred can eat my shorts.

"Reality TV" Gotta love it. For all the reasons posted previously. I've caught a few "Gold Rush" episodes and then I change channels swearing never to look again. So far I haven't. Does anyone believe these dudes are serious gold miners? It's more like serial episodes of the 3 Stooges.

Schnabel

Sigh..... Reality TV is just another indication of how far down the scale of intelligence society in general has fallen. There are folks who actually believe all of this crud is real. Does anyone of even average intelligence honestly believe a for profit business would put up with the antics of Chum on Pawn Stars for a week let alone for years? Then folks chase these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons around for autographs like they are true celebrities... Good grief... I did better acting in my 3rd grade school play.

We did not watch Gold Rush this year. We (my wife and I) have watched it in the past. My wife found it "very entertaining" only because her dad was a placer miner in Montana for many years. This was back when gold was $30 and you could patent a claim. She laughed a lot at the stupid screwups the "miners" did. My wife did work the claim with her dad one season and some of the gold she mined was used to make our wedding rings with small nuggets inset. I tried some panning a few times and that is a hard way to make a living.

Yep...and they neglected to mention how much was lost by the disorganized father-son combination and their poor operating practices. Maybe that's the pull of the show -- having main players who are so inept that viewers think gold placer mining is easy. The 4 guys working the smaller site were the only ones who seemed to know what they were doing - and they recovered much more gold than anyone. The Klondike guy, Beets?, was the only one who knew how to placer mine.

Interesting that producers left out the assay and refining parts, too.

....I was just thinking about you while I was reading this really neat book. You've probably already seen it...."One Man's Gold Rush" by Murray Morgan with some genuinely soul stirring turn of the century photos by E.A. Hegg...... this is not a massive tome.....an all night page turner. Reccomended. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u