• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Focus... Try to Focus...

18 posts in this topic

I've been collecting for around 3 years now and I've gone through so many collecting ideas it seems beyond crazy. However, I do think I have a long term collecting plan put together finally. Before we get to the latest direction here's where I've been and most of these have seen some progress too:

1. Build a complete US Type Set for the PCGS Registry. - Scrapped

2. Building a complete Buffalo Date Set PCGS Registry. - Scrapped

3. Building a complete US Type Set with Toned Coins. - Scrapped

Where I'm at now:

Collecting toned coins that I enjoy pulling out a few times a week to look through with my boy. I really enjoy toned Washington Quarters and Toned Buffalo Nickels and I'm trying to do a date set of each. No rush, just buying what I enjoy and trying not to double too many dates.

I've switched collecting goals many times over the past 12 years. Some ideas I've held onto for only a couple weeks! It's all part of the journey :)

Currently I'm working on a 19th & 20th century toned type set. I'm also collecting reeded edge half dollars by die variety in collector friendly grades. These goals have lasted over a year now...hopefully they will stick around for a while longer!

Focus is tough in any field of collecting. I often find myself drawn to something but stop as it isnt in my core collection goals. Often when you become wide eyed about something you see, you may lack the proper knowledge which will lead to mistakes.

collect what you love and nothing else matters.

This pretty well sums up the situation.

I've been a collector for over 50 years, and I've been through many incantations as to what I have wanted to collect. They included a complete set of Indian cents, which I completed but then lost interest and sold a big percentage loss. Others have been a one a year set of Morgan dollars, (begun, not completed and sold at a profit), a complete set of New England state Civil War tokens (close to complete, but now partially broken up) and 1800 to 1857 made for circulation half cents by die variety (Came within four coins, hit a brick wall and sold at a profit).

One thing I did stick with was a complete U.S. type set from half cent to $20 gold, and that I completed a year ago. I'd been at it since 1964 or so. Other than that I collect what I like which I find attractive with some history behind it. Some people say I lack focus, but this makes me happy, and that's what counts.

Part of the beauty of this hobby is that obtaining and learning things about many different issues has advantages. I buy and resell many things. While in my possession I appreciate them for what they are but letting them go gives me a very good idea if I'm over paying.

Focus on one series or "box of" is great but that doesn't mean you should pass up a bargain or a beautiful coin just because it's not what you're focused on.

I've just recently gotten back into collecting after having put together an almost complete series of pennies from 1941 on and an almost complete Jefferson nickel set. Of course these are all out of my pocket change and a small hoard of wheat pennies from my father in law. I am now starting on silver dollars, but am finding it hard to focus on what I want to continue to build on. I hope to find some direction in the near future, so that I am not all over the place, but until then the prettiest ones are going to make it into my collection.

It's hard to tell someone else specifically what they'll like in the long term. With regard to the three scrapped sets of the OP, if these were scrapped because they became financially unrealistic, then you need to fix that part of your planning phase.

The "collect what you like" advice is sound. Of course, I've discovered I like lots of stuff, which complicates things. When a dealer asks me what I'm collecting or looking for, I say Morgan Dollar die marriages, classic commems, and anything else I think is cool. As it turns out, this satisfies my need to investigate minting minutiae (VAMs), build a traditional set of attractive coins with broader appeal (commems), and not deprive myself of something that doesn't fit a traditional set (other cool stuff).

I'm guessing that the OP's attempting a date set of toned Washington quarters and Buffalo nickels will give way to collecting toned Washington quarters and Buffalo nickels, leaving the date set goal as secondary. You'll also develop the boy's eye for nice stuff and buy cool looking coins that don't fit either of those sets, but they're coins that you both like looking at.

As others had already said, collect what makes you happy. I seem to change directions every other month. ha ha. Ive been collecting for 30 years and when I started, I only wanted to collect Indian Head Cents. Over the years, it has morphed into a monster... and this monster makes me happy.

Not to sound like a bash but I would say that a complete US type set is pretty ambitious and a high probability for being scrapped from the get go?

I have given up on trying to focus on one set at a time. I buy what I like which usually means nice for the grade classic coinage in higher grades or coins that have some other phenomenal attribute (toners, PLs, cameo/deep cameos for proofs, etc).

I believe I have a undiagnosed late onset collecting ADD... I go into a coin shop looking for one or two coins for my type set, and invariably end up with something completely different, but cool (at least to me). I suspect many collectors have a similar malady.Hey, if your having fun, then that's all that counts, right?

I still sometimes think I am in some sort of competition for "he who dies with the most coins wins".... Or at least that's what my wife thinks... I over heard her tell some of my kids at Christmas that she was sending back to them all the coins they gave me for Christmas presents when I croak so she doesn't have to deal with them.

I primarily collect Morgans, but have recently bought WL's, Buffalo Nickels, Peace dollars, Frankie's and Mercury dimes. Why? Because I think they are cool looking coins and I want to own a few nice specimens. I'm now looking to acquire a Indian Head cent proof.

I don't know if I'll ever complete a set, but I don't really care either. Maybe someday I'll do it, but in the meantime, if I find a coin I like, I'll buy it for my collection.

I also agree with the people saying collect whatever you enjoy regardless it be a set of something specific or just random pretties.

And from my 50+ years at this, I would also add... collect what you like and can afford . I know this should be a logical call but I have over-stepped this line a few times to my dismay.

It's way too easy to forget the distinction between "wanting a certain coin" and "needing a certain coin". Getting caught up in the hunter/gatherer mindset can be costly.