• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1879 S Morgan Dollar. What grade would you give?

26 posts in this topic

Just picked up this 1879 S. I'm just wondering what grade you all would give it. I know my pic's aren't good, but give it a shot. The fields are really clean except for 10oclock on the reverse there's a minor scratch. On obv/rev there also appear to be polished die marks. There'e also some great flasiness which I'm showing by the last pic.

1879s1a.jpg

1879s1c.jpg

1879s2b.jpg

1879srev.jpg

1879s3.jpg

Thanks for your opinion!!

Beautiful coin! If looks to me like it may have been cleaned? Those marks, hairline scuffs, to the left of Liberty's face are what have me concerned. It's hard to see in the first picture but easier to see in the second. Also appears to have some of the same hairline scuffs on the reverse. Could just be bag marks? With that said, it's hard to tell without having the coin in hand. If those arent cleaning marks, then I'd guess somewhere in the range of MS61-63. Not quite a 64 but could get a + designation. But, that's just my opinion.

Well, I can get a good reflection at about 4 in. away, so it may be close IMO. It's already graded (not PL), but I just want to see what everyone else thinks. I have a decision to make.

I've tried a few more pics, but I'll need to send them off for someone else to take. It's way too flashy for me to get a good one.

I agree with an MS64, however I've seen worse cheek bagmarks on other examples graded 65 by both PCGS & NGC. Just sayin... ;)

Ok, so my issue is that I really like the way this coin looks in hand and I want to add it to my registered set. The problem is that NGC isn't letting me add it, so I was going to send in for a crossover. I feel that if I send it in, I'll risk having it knocked down to a 64 all because I want a slab that I can register and it'll be a waste of $ in the end. To be honest, I kinda like this old small ANACS slab anyway. It's growing on me.

1979slg.jpg

1879slg2.jpg

Jeff is right. NGC wont do a crossover unless it is a PCGS slab. All others myst be submitted raw. I don't have much experience with Anacs, but I've heard that they tend to be a bit more generous on their grading standards. And if you decided to submit it raw, there would then be the possibility of damaging your coin while trying break it out of the holder.

I agree with an MS64, however I've seen worse cheek bagmarks on other examples graded 65 by both PCGS & NGC. Just sayin... ;)

Ok, so my issue is that I really like the way this coin looks in hand and I want to add it to my registered set. The problem is that NGC isn't letting me add it, so I was going to send in for a crossover. I feel that if I send it in, I'll risk having it knocked down to a 64 all because I want a slab that I can register and it'll be a waste of $ in the end. To be honest, I kinda like this old small ANACS slab anyway. It's growing on me.

You already paid a lot of money for that coin. Don't compound it by paying additional money for a crossover. Please enjoy it as is.

1979slg.jpg

1879slg2.jpg

IMHO, leave your solid MS65 in the ANACS slab. Sweet coin that has no reason for further review from another TPG. You like it, keep it as it is. Please don't get caught up in Registry Fever. You know what you want to collect, don't let the slab dictate your collecting preferences. Let it grow.

Carl

Too late to play but not too late to say she's a pretty one. Nice, graceful aging on her, nothing I'd call "cosmetic." She's going to turn even the young boys' heads. I'd have called her a MS64, but then the graders had her in hand.

I will say Scratches, Maybe even Dipped. Grade 61-62

I think you're seeing marks from a polished die ;)

Agreed. Stated another way, I wish the 61 and 62 graded pieces that I have had in the past all looked like this coin.