• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Star Barber Dime Census

9 posts in this topic

Browsing the census and was surprised to see how few star coins have been graded by NGC in the Barber series. Anyone have an idea why? Compared to the Mercury dime and Roosevelt silver dime there is next to none!

Browsing the census and was surprised to see how few star coins have been graded by NGC in the Barber series. Anyone have an idea why? Compared to the Mercury dime and Roosevelt silver dime there is next to none!

One guess off-hand is that statistically, far far more Mercs and Roosies exist in star-able grades (UNC) than do Barber dimes.

The first answer that came to mind is that the Barber dime is inherently ugly, and it takes a fantastic coin to overcome that deficit. :P

The Roosie and Merc benefitted from increased collector interest, leading to them being put in albums. The 30's were really when coin collecting took off, and the methods of storage led to more attractively toned coins. The Roosevelt were also in mint sets, which often toned spectacularly.

Barber dimes were probably unpopular even when minted, and with the lower number of collectors, fewer were saved.

Come to think about it Doc, I have rarely seen an NGC Star Barber Dime.

Plenty of Quarters and Halves though.

Here's a Dime from my Dansco ....

1902-PDimeRawOBV.jpg

.........and here it is in the new NGC Holder.....

1902-PDimeNGCAU58OBV.jpg1902-PDimeNGC58REV.jpg

1902-PDimeNGCAU58OBVnewimages.jpg

1902-PDimeNGC58REVnewimages.jpg

Anyone think that this didn't deserve a Star ? (shrug)

The first answer that came to mind is that the Barber dime is inherently ugly, and it takes a fantastic coin to overcome that deficit. :P

The Roosie and Merc benefitted from increased collector interest, leading to them being put in albums. The 30's were really when coin collecting took off, and the methods of storage led to more attractively toned coins. The Roosevelt were also in mint sets, which often toned spectacularly.

Barber dimes were probably unpopular even when minted, and with the lower number of collectors, fewer were saved.

Do you really think Barbers are ugly?? I don’t, and I think they are better looking than a Roosie.

Do you really think Barbers are ugly?? I don’t, and I think they are better looking than a Roosie.

Yes. I think the Barber design is very ugly. To be fair, I also think the Roosevelt dime is ugly. It's a matter of individual taste.

1902-PDimeRawOBV.jpg

1902-PDimeNGCAU58OBV.jpg1902-PDimeNGC58REV.jpg

1902-PDimeNGCAU58OBVnewimages.jpg

1902-PDimeNGC58REVnewimages.jpg

Anyone think that this didn't deserve a Star ? (shrug)

Love the crescent toning Mike!

Love the crescent toning Mike!

+1