• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Confusion with Silver Eagle Sets

1 post in this topic

There are two registry sets in which to list mint state silver eagles, "Silver Eagles, 1986-Date, Mint State" and "Silver Eagles, 1986-Date, Mint State (Incl. Varieties)". The confusion I have is mainly with the basic set.

There are five varieties listed in that set and omissions of other similar varieties for the same dates. Within that set are the 2000 Millenium Set, the 2008-W reverse of 2007, the 2011(s) struck at San Francisco, the 2012(s) struck at San Francisco, and the 2012(w) struck at West Point. The omissions of similar varieties are the 2011(w) struck at West Point, and the 2013(s) struck at San Francisco, and the 2013(w) struck at West Point.

Since these are varieties of the same dates, shouldn't they be listed in only the "Silver Eagles, 1986-Date, Mint State (Incl. Varieties)" and not at all in the "Silver Eagles, 1986-Date, Mint State" set? If the basic set lists the 2011(s) struck at San Francisco, why isn't the 2011(w) struck at West Point also listed; and since 2012 lists both the "struck at" (s) & (w) coins, why are neither listed for 2013? This is confusing to me how the set makeup is determined.

One last comment, I have a complete set of the Silver Eagle 20th Anniversary Collection, 1985 - 2005, this is a numbered set. When searching the points ranking for these coins, it shows a separate class for that designation in the points listings. It would seem that maybe another set listing should be added for that group, just me thinking out loud. Thanks for your consideration.