• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In honor of jom... 1915 buffalo roundup!

12 posts in this topic

A while back I sold a very lustrous and purely white example of a 1915 buffalo nickel, MS66. This was a very nice specimen of a type 2 buffalo nickel and exhibited some wonderful characteristics. The coin was nearly fully struck and had clear differentiation of the Indian’s long feather from the field, as well as clear differentiation of LIBERTY from the rim. Indeed, the coin was more like a 1916 T3 subtype than a T2, as it also had relatively smooth fields. The coin made me wonder if there was some experimentation in Philadelphia with dies that had smoother fields than the typical T2 pieces of 1913-15. Details on the bison were quite good and there was nothing to say critically about the coin’s technical aspects. I am simply not a person who likes purely white buffalo nickels, so I sold the coin in lieu of a lower graded coin (MS65) that showed overall strike weakness, but great original toning.

Since that time, I’ve patiently looked for another, better struck, example of a 1915 buff, but with the kind of blue-nickel surfaces that I love so much in the series, as well as booming luster. Well, the other day, I got my ANR e-zine and saw that they had a 1915 MS66 for sale. I looked it up and was smitten by the coin. I tried to back off, be patient, and talk myself into waiting, but it did not work! laugh.gif So I ordered the piece, and I am so glad that I did!

My new coin exhibits a needle-sharp strike that is as full as they come on the 1915 issues. The luster and color of the piece are exactly what I love about the buffalo nickel series and the eye appeal is unreal. The coin deserves being in a 67 holder. Needless to say, I’m ecstatic! I’ll let the coins speak for themselves…

My first 1915, MS66. Technically great. Some die fatigue, which is nearly ALWAYS seen in this issue on the front of the Indian’s neck.

568589-1915%20T2%20buffalo%205c%20MS66%20NGC%20obv.jpg

568590-1915%20T2%20buffalo%205c%20MS66%20NGC%20rev.jpg

My second 1915, which I bought raw. Fetching piece, and original as they get, but with overall softness of strike.

568677-1915%20buffalo%205c%20MS65%20NGC%20obv.jpg

568679-1915%20buffalo%205c%20MS65%20NGC%20rev.jpg

My most recently acquired 1915. A superb piece with an unbelievable strike. A funny die chip at the tip of the Indian’s long feather.

568593-1915%20Buff%205c%20MS66%20PCGS%20obv.jpg

568594-1915%20Buff%205c%20MS66%20PCGS%20rev.jpg

Hoot

Skinny dipped? shocked.gif

Jom's dead?

Heck, he's just passing his 10th anneversary, so functionally, yes. 893whatthe.gif

Hoot

I think they should be dipped!

devil.gif

A little dipping never hurt anybody devil.gifdevil.gif

After dipping, you'll be amazed at the GREAT colors you'll get if you bake them at about 425F....

(very pretty coins)

Paul

Nice coins Hoot! I'll be happy to take them off your hands. Here's mine: Analyze please! laugh.gif

15p.jpg

Jom's dead?

Yeah, and how'd you like to join me? devil.gif

jom

Nice coins Hoot! I'll be happy to take them off your hands. Here's mine: Analyze please! laugh.gif

Thanks jom and thanks for posting that great pic of yours, er, someone's. laugh.gif It's a wonderful looking piece with all of the details that one can expect from that issue. Impressive EDS specimen and a solid looking 66. The definition of the Indian's neck is fantastic - nice and smooth, not rough, especially in front of the braid.

Too bad you got that fingerprint on the obverse and the big smudge across the reverse. 893whatthe.gif Please send to me so that I can fix it. insane.gif

Hoot

The 15-P is a bit nicer than the photo. Sort of a blueish cast on the obverse with that orangish area. The reverse is similar but is streaky. I normally don't like streaky Buffs but this one was pretty nice...thanks to Pinnicle for the coin. My only purchase from them I believe. blush.gif

jom