• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The never ending job posted by wmfielding

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

When will it be completed ?

Hello fellow collectors,

I just finished uploading all the photos I have of my coins. However I have 117 coins summitted to NGC at the moment so in a week or two I'll set up my light box and start all over. I love collecting modern coins and am doing my best to complete a Roosevelt Dime collection including the Error coins this I am finding almost impossable but over time I'll complete the set.

But back to the photos this is the part of collecting I seem to enjoy the most even though I'm not the best at it. I know I'll get better with time. my biggest problem is getting a good shot without glare from the flash so I seem to have to slightly move the coin at an angle to the camera. Anyone have any good ideas on how to improve my photos? If so please post them here.

Happy collecting and God Bless you all...Mike

13082.JPG

See more journals by wmfielding

In my proof sets I do my own photography and I am far from a professional. I just enjoy doing it myself. With my photos I crop the photo to just show the coin, not the entire slab. Each to their own, but I put the grade, date, and census in the description and crop the info off the photo. Some coins are much easier to photograph than others. Strong cameos are the easiest for me. Non-cameo coins, especially Roosevelts in older style slabs are the hardest for me. I play with the lighting and just do the best I can. Since I am not trying to sell the coins, I am not worried if the photo is not perfect.

Mike, Best-O-Luck on those grades. I set out 70 coins for submission this weekend. Pennies, Nickels and Dimes. I have 8 variety dimes, 2 variety pennies and 2 variety halves to send in also. I need to add more coins to my sales sets!!! Looks like NGC is loving our mail. :)

Rick

Yes Rick NGC must be loving both of us lol and I have at least 30 more coins to send in next month......

As far as taking my photos outside in the sun here in good old West Virginia I havent seen the sun in over a week and with temps of between 20 and 40 I wouldnt use my camera outside. In the spring I use it to take prom photos and senior photos for the students yearbook its a break even deal but its something I love doing I just have a problem taking photos of small plastic enclosed items without a heartbeat lol

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond Happy collecting and God Bless you all.....Mike

Mike, are you using a dslr camera? I have a Canon t2i and I use a Canon speedlite 600 EX-RT flash. If you do have a dslr, any flash that fits in the hot shoe that changes its angle should work for you. I angle mine up, so when I shoot it into my light box, I get the light from the flash, but the flash does not hit the coin/slab. Goof luck.

Marcus

And yes, I think NGC does love you right now. lol

The sunlight is the best. Take it from a fellow who has made bazzillions of videos and pictures. Movies are always made using light that casts no shadows, and sunlight, (indirect) is best, and cloudy bright is nearly the same. It makes it harder for those of you that are impatient, and want photos NOW (like me), but it is the glare and shadows that foul up most pictures. If you have an fancy camera at all, look for a button or dial or choice with a flower on it, this allows better focus on close-ups. Remember, it is the direct light of a light bulb or one source that fouls up your picture. Try to use as much diffused light or indirect lighting as possible, and the brightest. Flashes just don't seem to work unless it is filtered greatly.

Capt. Brian

The sunlight is the best. Take it from a fellow who has made bazzillions of videos and pictures. Movies are always made using light that casts no shadows, and sunlight, (indirect) is best, and cloudy bright is nearly the same. It makes it harder for those of you that are impatient, and want photos NOW (like me), but it is the glare and shadows that foul up most pictures. If you have an fancy camera at all, look for a button or dial or choice with a flower on it, this allows better focus on close-ups. Remember, it is the direct light of a light bulb or one source that fouls up your picture. Try to use as much diffused light or indirect lighting as possible, and the brightest. Flashes just don't seem to work unless it is filtered greatly.

Capt. Brian

I don't know any professional numismatic photographer who uses sunlight. There are readily available indoor lighting options ranging from compact fluorescents (CFLs), halogens, LEDs, and Incandescent bulbs. All are usable with a DSLR where the white balance can be custom set.

I agree that light boxes are of limited used for coin photography, for the main reason that they diffuse the light too much. I used to try to image coins with "diffuse" light and they simply appear dead and flat. The guy who wrote the book on coin photography (Mark Goodman) will tell you that a little diffusion may be necessary, but it's more important to get your lights high above the coin and as close to the lens as possible.

Lastly, if you want to take pictures where the coin is in focus throughout, the coin and/or slab needs to be perfectly parallel to the image sensor at the back of your camera. That is, the coin should be on a flat surface ,and your camera should be pointing straight down at it -- preferrably on a copy stand. Otherwise, only a small portion of the coin will be in focus. This is a depth of field problem associated with macro photography. Any handheld-camera coin picture will always be inferior to an image take with a completely fixed / sturdy mounted camera.

A couple example images I have taken below from my collection:

1998S_Washington_Quarter_PCGS_PR70DCAM_composite_zpsc02c781f.jpg

1860_GreatBritain_Farthing_NGCMS64_composite_zps535e0a3d.jpg

1917_Type1_SLQ_PCGS_MS64FH_composite_zps338ff73e.jpg