• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Peace Dollar

32 posts in this topic

Looks like a nice pickup but the picture looks a little off. Did you run some kind of color correction on it or something?

Looks like a nice pickup but the picture looks a little off. Did you run some kind of color correction on it or something?

What are you seeing that makes you believe that the photo was altered? Just wondering.

Carl

I ran the coin thru some filters. I think the color temp is just a little off. That is definitely a homerun for a first Peace toner.

I ran the coin thru some filters. I think the color temp is just a little off. That is definitely a homerun for a first Peace toner.

A little too technical for me. Do you believe the photos have been altered? Maybe juiced a bit?

Carl

A little too technical for me. Do you believe the photos have been altered? Maybe juiced a bit?

Carl

No i just think the white balance and temperature were a little off. I dont think its juiced at all. Just looks like a low quality photo. It was also hard to tell if the blue in the upper corner was lens refration or actual toning but it appears it is some blue toning up there. Here's my slight tweak:

134523.jpg.5cd2a1d9d7947d31ddac4e1aa842e867.jpg

Carl

No i just think the white balance and temperature were a little off. I dont think its juiced at all. Just looks like a low quality photo. It was also hard to tell if the blue in the upper corner was lens refration or actual toning but it appears it is some blue toning up there. Here's my slight tweak:

Got it. Thanks. As you said, a very nice first pick up. The Obverse color is amazing.

Carl

First, thanks all for the comments from all...glad it's Chat Board Approved!!!!

Regarding the image the coin has a bit more of a yellow base and more green than the blue the photo shows. But, for the most part the coin looks like the image. Yes, white balance could be off some and Photoshop was used to process. However, no "color correction" was made. Just a slight adjustment in the contrast and saturation as the raw image was washed out. I used three lights to avoid the shadows I was getting around the rims from the plastic insert. That third light washed it out.

Just looks like a low quality photo.

Oh, now that just hurts... :facepalm: Yep, my photo skills need improving....

First, thanks all for the comments from all...glad it's Chat Board Approved!!!!

Regarding the image the coin has a bit more of a yellow base and more green than the blue the photo shows. But, for the most part the coin looks like the image. Yes, white balance could be off some and Photoshop was used to process. However, no "color correction" was made. Just a slight adjustment in the contrast and saturation as the raw image was washed out. I used three lights to avoid the shadows I was getting around the rims from the plastic insert. That third light washed it out.

....it's not just you, brother. Don't feel bad. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I don't know, they look like pretty good pics to me. The colors might be ever so slightly off, but its a clear, crisp image, the colors pop, the luster shows well enough. I'd be mighty proud to have images like that.

I might try repositioning the lights a bit more to avoid the dark spots. That's my only real suggestion.

I would avoid using saturation to correct for a washed-out look. A little contrast is all you should need. Saturation will affect the color scheme too much.

Most editors have white balance settings that allow for correcting temperature and tint. You should be able to use these to get the colors right. Go easy on the tint as small adjustments make a big difference in the red/green balance.

Nice peace dollar, lab lover. My yellow lab is one year old today.

Lance.

Nice peace dollar, lab lover. My yellow lab is one year old today.

Happy Birthday Wishes are in order!!!!

Thanks all for the great photo suggestions and comments. It's great to hear what others find works best...I'm no image professional, so I need all the help I can get.

Cheers to all...

Jim

I did not mean to insult your photo ability. As mentioned if you used the saturation filters then that is what creates the low quality look because it means the color data wasnt there in the pic and the software had to "guess" what it was. These recent pics do look better.