• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out my 2 NEW COOL ERROR CENTS!

13 posts in this topic

Just picked these up for my personal collection at the Long Beach show and posted iPhone photos in my show thread, but now I have Todd's great photos. In addition to being really cool, they both have very pretty toning. I wasn't really looking to add more errors to my collection, but when these were presented to me, I just couldn't resist!

That's a hole all the way through the coin and also you can see the image of Lincoln impressed on the reverse

49.jpg

26.jpg

Delta, errors like these are usually "smuggled" out of the mint, possibly by administrators at the mint.

Thanks for answering, that makes sense, it could easily have been theft by employees of one kind or another, and administrators would have been under less scrutiny.

But I think the government cannot logically or legally lay claim to these errors on the grounds they are illegitimate contraband because there are various possible plausible explanations for their existence outside the mint's premises.

Just for example, when Dan Carr bought a former mint press in Denver, he found numerous similar error pieces lodged inside the machinery when he took the press apart for repair and renovation.

And of course many of those errors could just have been wrapped up into bank rolls by automated machinery.

But here's another theory, what do you think about this?: these wild errors could have been tossed into scrap bins at the mint, and then sold by weight, as bullion, to smelters, processors, planchet makers, etc., so then anyone at those establishments could have rescued the more interesting looking errors for eventual sale to collectors.

No theory,true story.Years ago the employes would drop the errors in the crank case of a lift.When it was time to change oil it was done by some friendly outside shop:)