• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSA experts: What is an 1878 (P) dollar still in its original GSA holder worth?

13 posts in this topic

That is, a non-Carson City 1878 GSA. And, where can I research this coin?

Thanks!

Which tailfeather variety is it?

Chris

(shrug) but it shouldn't matter, as I believe it is extremely rare (maybe 3- 4 known?).

Thanks!

Chris

(shrug) but it shouldn't matter, as I believe it is extremely rare (maybe 3- 4 known?).

I only asked because I'm a fan of the 8TF.

Chris

Thanks!

Chris

OK, I'm not a Morgan expert but what is rare about this? I don't understand...but I'm curious!

jom

Thanks!

Chris

OK, I'm not a Morgan expert but what is rare about this? I don't understand...but I'm curious!

jom

It concerns the number of 1878-P - with what was it 8 tai feathers? - that are mounted in GSA holders. I don't care about this because I'm much more interested in coins than holders, but it does matter to some people.

In general you can find a nice example of an 1878, 8 tail feather dollar, fairly easily, but NOT in a GSA holder.

Here is an example of the coin.

18787o8TFO.jpg1878Dollar8TFR.jpg

Currently, there is only 1 1878 P GSA (Black Pack) graded by NGC, That would make your coin quite the rarity. The only NGC graded 1878 GSA is in the collection of GSA Gem Quest and that coin is a 7/8 tailfeather variety. This makes it very important what reverse is on the coin mentioned by the OP. While the quantities of Carson City GSA dollars is documented, there is no record of quantities or dates on the Non-CC GSA Morgans. We may never know exactly what dates and mintmarks were included in the GSA sales.

Currently, there is only 1 1878 P GSA (Black Pack) graded by NGC, That would make your coin quite the rarity. The only NGC graded 1878 GSA is in the collection of GSA Gem Quest and that coin is a 7/8 tailfeather variety. This makes it very important what reverse is on the coin mentioned by the OP. While the quantities of Carson City GSA dollars is documented, there is no record of quantities or dates on the Non-CC GSA Morgans. We may never know exactly what dates and mintmarks were included in the GSA sales.

From what I have tracked down, there are two currently confirmed in GSA holders, one in a PCGS "GSA pedigree" holder, and a possible fourth also in its GSA holder -- this latter being the one that has been brought to my attention. I was wondering whether that population of 3 to 4 could possibly be realistic. Of course, there are other non-CC dollars in GSA holders that are scarce yet available, but apparently, the 1878 (all varieties included) "P" is extremely rare.

From what I have tracked down, there are two currently confirmed in GSA holders, one in a PCGS "GSA pedigree" holder, and a possible fourth also in its GSA holder -- this latter being the one that has been brought to my attention. I was wondering whether that population of 3 to 4 could possibly be realistic. Of course, there are other non-CC dollars in GSA holders that are scarce yet available, but apparently, the 1878 (all varieties included) "P" is extremely rare.

I would say the number isn't realistic simply due to the fact that there are still a lot of sealed GSAs out there but the odds that there is a hoard of 1878's in sealed boxes would seem to be extremely remote. While I am sure the number is multiples of 3 or 4.......we could still be talking about 20 coins or less and based on GSA collector demands...I can't imagine the coin not fetching a very strong premium at auction.

Thanks!

Chris

jom

It concerns the number of 1878-P - with what was it 8 tai feathers? - that are mounted in GSA holders. I don't care about this because I'm much more interested in coins than holders, but it does matter to some people.

In general you can find a nice example of an 1878, 8 tail feather dollar, fairly easily, but NOT in a GSA holder.

Thanks for that Bill.

Although, I agree with you that holders are certainly not the most important thing these GSA holder do have some historical significance. Much like original packaging for, say, an old Commemorative would be.

At the 2011 Spring ANA in Sacramento some dealer had a better dated Morgan in a GSA that I thought was interesting. I don't remember which date...maybe an 89-CC (is that possible?) or some other big date. The coin was also "labeled" by NGC (they do that right?). Pretty toning too. He wanted a lot of dough but I didn't know enough about to say he wanted a big premium for the GSA.

I can understand chasing GSA stuff...it IS kind of interesting. Far more than interesting than old Fatty holders or those absurd "doilys".

jom

jom,

While it is possible that the piece you saw at the Sacramento show was an 1889-CC, it is highly unlikely. Of the 3 million Carson City Morgans offered in the GSA sales there was only 1 1889-CC. That coin resides in its black pack with an NGC grade of MS62 DPL. There was also only 1 each of 1893-CC and 1892-CC. Those two have not surfaced to my knowledge, Any of these 3 coins would carry a rather hefty price tag.

jom,

While it is possible that the piece you saw at the Sacramento show was an 1889-CC, it is highly unlikely. Of the 3 million Carson City Morgans offered in the GSA sales there was only 1 1889-CC. That coin resides in its black pack with an NGC grade of MS62 DPL. There was also only 1 each of 1893-CC and 1892-CC. Those two have not surfaced to my knowledge, Any of these 3 coins would carry a rather hefty price tag.

It probably wasn't. The price tag was around $5K as I recall. Maybe it was a 93-S or some such. I don't remember....whatever it was I only remember that I knew (at the time) it wasn't a date you normally found in the old GSA.

I still think these do have some sort of historical significance...

jom