• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unique die cud cent/die steel fragment matching pair discovered

21 posts in this topic

That is simply amazing! I can imagine that the "rush" must have been fantastic when you first viewed these specimens together.

Thanks for posting this!

Chris

I noticed something. Tom says this discovery took place a few weeks ago. The coin and fragment are shown in an NGC multi coin holder that they stopped using over a year ago and which have only been available for bulk submissions for the year before that. So either NGC ignored their "no more multi-coin holders" decision, or they handled and slabbed this piece more than two years ago. (It definitely wasn't part of a bulk submission.)

I asked our gracious hosts in advance if they could accomodate both the coin and the fragment, and Dave Camire said he would see what they could do. Obviously they used a leftover multi-coin holder, and did a smashing job at it!

TD

Not a "casting" problem - die steel is not cast to shape.

It looks like a severe annealing defect in the die – likely poor tempering which made the die face brittle.

The molten steel was cast into a slab or ingot which was then hot rolled and formed into square-faced rods. Typically the mint purchased the rods, and machined them to initial working cylinders. (Much like using a wood lathe to make round chair legs.) Machining was done "across grain" of the steel so that the crystals lay parallel to the length of the die.