• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Bust H10c Variety

7 posts in this topic

I recently had an 1829 Bust H10c come back from NGC, and sold it at auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=261164374953

One of the JR society experts looked it up in the book as I had not had it attributed, here is what he came up with:

"It looks like it was a LM-15.2 R4 and listed as difficult to obtain above XF in the book"

Is this right and was around $1000 fair for the coin? Thanks.

You may have gotten a little bump for the die-marriage (actually, the die-state in this case), but more likely just the better grade and type commanded good bids. The Heritage coin seems to have gone for too much, in my opinion.

There was this update on the topic at the JR Society from sharp experts on varieties:

"I agree with Dave Johnson that the 1829 half dime is of the LM-15 die marriage. However, it appears to me that the N in UNITED has a die chip and that there is also a small die chip in the M of AMERICA. These factors would make it a later remarriage: 1829 LM-15.2. Some sharp-eyed collectors bid the coin to twice "book price" because of the scarcity of the die marriage (as Dave Johnson pointed out: R-4) and the scarcity of the remarriage in higher grade. The latest JRCS census shows an AU-58 as finest reported for this remarriage. The Logan-McCloskey text states a brilliant uncirculated exampled was sold at Kagin's in 1979, so this would not likely be "finest known" but it sure is up there in condition census. That coin would have been an upgrade for my collection too, but I did not see it before it ended. Even if I had, I am sure I would not have won it above its actual closing price."

Richard Meaney

http://jr-newsletter.blogspot.com/

Also I have been told that the grading services get varieties wrong; PCGS asked what VAM variety a particular Morgan dollar was, so they could attribute it thus, and they charge double the NGC attribution fee.