• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to sell a few of my coins?

8 posts in this topic

BST on these forums, or consign?

Thanks as always,

Ray

There's no fees selling here on the boards. I would offer them here first. If they don't sell, maybe consign.

Also, if their raw, put up scans in the grading forum, and provide links to the grading threads, showing the guesses of board members.

More esoteric items or those that appeal primarily to a particular niche (especially with coins that are not often collected by varieties, die marriages, etc.), I would consign because more relevant collectors/market participants would likely see the coins. More valuable coins would also be worth consigning; however, I would try to sell them on the boards here, on the Buy/Sell/Trade forums on the PCGS message boards, Cointalk, and other coin message boards first. Any coin valued at less than $2,000 would be especially ideal to sell on the forums. I wish you luck with your sales.

P.S. It would be helpful if you list what you wish to sell. Sometimes it is possible to receive prices consistent with those realized at Heritage and the other auction houses, with you having to absorb only 2.9% in PayPal fees in lieu of the larger fees of the large auction houses.

Also, if you are selling expensive toners, it is worth noting that I am not impressed (nor are many other collectors) with the numismatic photography of many auction houses. Although there are public viewings, I can only wonder whether the prices realized are adversely affected by the horrendous images (because it reduces the pool of interested bidders). With toners, I have seen Shane (a/k/a Kryptonitecomics) do very well on eBay for a very reasonable fee, and in many cases, his prices realized exceed those for Heritage and other large auction houses when comparing coins of comparable quality. His photography is top notch, and his ability to receive top bids for his material is paralleled by very few. I would consider him as viable alternative. While he specializes in toned coins, he also accepts non-toned coins as well.