• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pearl Harbor Find at the coin shop

10 posts in this topic

I went by the coin shop yesterday, just to see what was new and as I was snooping around the silver case, the below silver round caught my eye. I was immediately intrigued as my son had gone to Pearl Harbor last year and brought me some medals of the Arizona, the USS Bowfin, and of course the Missouri. I bought the round from the dealer for melt plus his 3% and brought it home to add with my other Pearl collection. Looking online, it appears this coin was issued by the Honolulu Mint and originally issued with a COA in a nice box, which unfortunately didn't accompany my find. Looking at the Honolulu Mint web site, they don't seem to list any history of their productions such as mintage quantities and such. I does seem that they issue a new production of a medal at least every 10 years so I doubt there is any rariety to this. However, it was just kind of "neat" and I love ship related medals anyway. Does anyone else have any information on these?

134280.jpg.e812a50079924348ebe4367b293ca989.jpg

134281.jpg.cf54f1ee415b209347212a442ec4ae68.jpg

Wow... Did I stump the jocks or just nobody cares? If the latter, then never mind. If the former, then read on...

I got the following from the Honolulu Mint:

Honolulu Mint

Looks like a medallion minted by the “former” Honolulumint

original co. went bankrupt in 2005, and I purchased assets and name only.

50th anniv medal was minted in silver or gold weighing 1 troy ounce.

Sold for $29.00 in 1991. A silver 1 oz. medallion retails for $120.00 in 2013.

Srtiking was limited to 1000 total in 1991 as a “limited edition”

David Jones, Honolulumint

As near as I can tell, they are a private company engaged in production of medallions and souvenir coins for businesses and some military organizations. We have one here in Washington State known as the NW Territorial Mint that does the same kind of stuff. Some of the coins they turn out are quite nice. I like this one as it complements some other medallions I have. I don't like it enough to pay $120 for it mind you as Mr. Jones indicates the current value to be, but at melt plus dealer markup, I like it.

As near as I can tell, they are a private company engaged in production of medallions and souvenir coins for businesses and some military organizations. We have one here in Washington State known as the NW Territorial Mint that does the same kind of stuff. Some of the coins they turn out are quite nice. I like this one as it complements some other medallions I have. I don't like it enough to pay $120 for it mind you as Mr. Jones indicates the current value to be, but at melt plus dealer markup, I like it.

I think it is a very nice medal, and you got it for a pretty good price.

On a side note, I believe that Medallic Art Company and Northwest Territorial Mint either merged or one bought the other. I don't know which.

Chris

I dont know anything abou this coin... but I have to say, I would buy it in a heartbeat!!! Beautiful obverse!

Here are mine. (Oklahoma BB-37)

IMG_1246.jpg

Wow... super nice Ken. I am jealous.... Those are geogeous. How did you come by those? Were they together in a set? Do you know the mint date? That appears to be the Arizona on fire on the obverse? I noticed you inlcuded the Oklahoma BB-37 in your message. Holy cripes.... Were you on board her at Pearl?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.. these are really cool medals.

I bought the two together in a set. They came in a nice wooden box with Frank Gasparro signed COAs. Only 500 gold coins were minted and 1941 silver.

No, I didnt serve on the Oklahoma.. ha ha.. my pap was served on the Nevada (Marine Detachment).

On 2/8/2013 at 11:15 AM, Crohnos01 said:

I also have these ones in my collection. They are current and common as bed bugs, but I think pretty cool. I especially like the Mo.

134299.jpg.6be4c997055d1e8e5c29a15fc429e84b.jpg

134300.jpg.098d91fddade757317d08d7dc775a345.jpg

134301.jpg.a6fa1066874e07c19c10a7e6abc99091.jpg

134302.jpg.95a3fc08a3c1dd00ee416f403b479684.jpg I have one like this. Ford Island. May I know what is its composition?