• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hidalgo Coin Show Report

19 posts in this topic

I am definitely not the most experienced at giving show reports, especially since this is my 1st one as a "dealer." I do have to say that it was an awesome experience, but I don't think any of the dealers frequent these coin sites. Most of them were what we refer to down here as "Winter Texans." I don't believe there was a single dealer under the age of 60, so I stuck out like a sore thumb. I loved their stories, and can't wait to attend another one!

photo-5_zps3817930d.jpg

This was the sign in front of the venue. It was an old Shriner hall. Not a huge show, but ANACS was there! Yeah...I didn't submit anything to them. They visited our club a couple months back, and I submitted then. Wasn't happy with the results. Sold most of it at this show with barely a small premium.

photo-6_zps81e15ca2.jpg

Here is the view from my table after setting up. It was 5am, and a lot of dealers hadn't shown up yet.

photo-8_zps90aad6d4.jpg

My "Key Coin" Case. It was hard keeping this thing neat. Everyone wants to touch these, but they rarely bought. They did go for the gold and silver bullion though!

photo-12_zps22ee25bb.jpg

My "Gold" case! It did well bringing a lot of attention to the table!

photo-7_zps9a826b71.jpg

These ladies don't seem like much, but they were spending cash like no tomorrow. They bought about 25% of my gold!

photo-11_zps81ea2913.jpg

These were my neighbors. The old guy in the red loved to talk while the guy in the hat was a lot like "Boomhower" off the "King of the Hill!"

photo-10_zps9e672228.jpg

This dealer had an entire isle at the show, lol.

Well, That's pretty much all I have to report. I did pretty well, but a lot of people walked right past me. The neighbor at the show said that a lot of people don't trust "young" sellers. I'm in my 30's, but what the hey. I still did ok.

Only "unusual" thing I have to report is this snapshot I took of this Mom & kid near the front sign.

photo-9_zps2ab701bf.jpg

Till next time, thanks for reading!

Nice. Sounds like you had a successful show. Which two customers stood out the most? One good, One bad?

Worst Customer: There was another dealer ticked off b/c I wouldn't let my gold go below spot. He kept repeating "but I'm a dealer. I'm a dealer." I told him I didn't care. I wasn't going to let my slabbed gold double eagles go less than $1750. It turned out to be a good move as I sold all my 1 oz's anyways for the prices I wanted.

Best customers: those two ladies took home a lot, and they were really nice!

Nice. Sounds like you had a successful show. Which two customers stood out the most? One good, One bad?

Worst Customer: There was another dealer ticked off b/c I wouldn't let my gold go below spot. He kept repeating "but I'm a dealer. I'm a dealer." I told him I didn't care. I wasn't going to let my slabbed gold double eagles go less than $1750. It turned out to be a good move as I sold all my 1 oz's anyways for the prices I wanted.

So Mr. "I'm a dealer" thought he was entitled to something? I'm happy to hear you stood your ground. I have little patience for those who feel they are entitled.

So Mr. "I'm a dealer" thought he was entitled to something? I'm happy to hear you stood your ground. I have little patience for those who feel they are entitled.

Evidently the guy said I was supposed to give him a "dealer to dealer" price. I told him NOT on the gold. I showed him my "key coins case," but I think he was too upset to bother.

Evidently the guy said I was supposed to give him a "dealer to dealer" price. I told him NOT on the gold. I showed him my "key coins case," but I think he was too upset to bother.

Dealer knew he could sell the gold and was upset that you wouldn't give him an easy profit. Good choice.

These were my neighbors. The old guy in the red loved to talk while the guy in the hat was a lot like "Boomhower" off the "King of the Hill!"

:roflmao:

You would have been FOOLISH to let your gold go for below spot!! What was that 'dealer' guy thinking??!! doh! You shoulda looked through his case and made him a few obnoxious offers on his better stuff----that woulda likely gotten rid of him!! lol

GOOD REPORT----I enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 dealers. This is one of the only two "major" shows in this region ( held by the same coin club, I believe recently listed the 2nd biggest club in Texas). Therefore, this is the only opportunity for lots of folks to buy coins 1st hand. A lot of dealers from Houston, Dallas, & SA attend. As for amount of customers, I'm not sure. Saturday was busy, but traffic slowed around noon on Sunday due to the Superbowl.

Let's just say this, I sold ( or have them on hold) all of the gold except one 1904-s raw Dbl. Eagle that was in my case. It's kind of like a hidden gem. Mexican gold (50 pesos) & silver bullion were the biggest sellers at the show. (Really close to the border)

The show saw a lot of rich Mexicans that traveled in country just to attend the show.

Thanks for the show report! And it reminds me why I don't like to do shows especially in the Northeast as with the expense and the haggling by dealers who want to buy cheap, there is just no advantage. You had a lot of ANACS slabbed coins, when NGC's gold rush is only $20 a coin? I think you sold too cheap.

Thanks for the show report! And it reminds me why I don't like to do shows especially in the Northeast as with the expense and the haggling by dealers who want to buy cheap, there is just no advantage. You had a lot of ANACS slabbed coins, when NGC's gold rush is only $20 a coin? I think you sold too cheap.

Yeah... I'm afraid I might have gotten too giddy when I saw all that green. My square app also made it really easy to sell. Being able to accept credit cards helped.

ANACS is accurate with type gold and many better dates in my experience so you would have done better with N or P slabs instead IMO.

The whole cash thing is no real incentive for me except with customers who we don't know. It is a felony to pass a big bad check anyway. In terms of taxes you can write off so many expenses so that isn't advantageous for me. Heritage is a top buyer for these coins or Rarcoa.