• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1950 Satin Proof Cent??

22 posts in this topic

I bought this coin as a business strike about 20 years ago and have ever since thought it was instead a satin finish proof, basically an early strike from non-polished dies. It has a satiny finish with underlying reflectivity, and has flat edges, but not wide and flat rims. It's raw, and photographed through a scratched Kointain. Curious what you all think...

IMG_0445_01.jpg

IMG_0444_01.jpg

That's just a proof from a slightly worn die. I wouldn't consider it special but it is very nice. I like the look of it, but it's just a proof after all.

Before I read your post, my feeling was that it was a business strike. Obviously, you know this series better than I do, but the areas on the shoulder, top of the jawline and on the temple look to me to be places where the planchet did not receive sufficient pressure to obliterate planchet scruffiness.

I think that it is a super nice business strike. The marks on the shoulder were on the planchet before the coin was stuck IMO, and that does not indicate a Proof strike to me.

I'm still leaning proof - rather sharp between letters and rim and looks like frosted date

you might have to take out of cointain and check the edge again

should be reflective and sharp corners - compare to business strike

I'm very pleased with this discussion, as I have not been able to attribute this coin for a long time. It has underlying mirrors that are not so apparent in my photo because the Kointain forced me to angle the lights more than I'd like. It also does have flat reflective edges that look more like a proof than a biz strike, but is not struck up on the rims as I expect a proof to be. It's a very strange coin!

The comments about planchet scruffiness are enlightening. If this is a proof, which was my expectation, the scruffiness would be from post-mint damage, yet thinking about this being a business strike on a non-polished planchet, the planchet scruffiness explanation makes a lot of sense.

The reverse bottom screams proof to me. The date and the rims are all proof. But I can see where the others might think this is a business strike. The only way to find out it to send it in. I still personally think it's a proof and I'm going to stick with that no matter.

The detail of proof dies was the same as on circulatioin coin dies. Differences in the coins were due to strike pressure, strike duration, and polishing of the field and planchets.

I'm going with not proof. Parts of the rims just aren't right for a proof. Every die used to strike a coin was new at one time, and this may simply be a very early die state.

This is a somewhat common late die state finish on 1950 proof sets, struck from over-used dies. This is not unique to 1950 cents, and is probably most common on the halves. While this finish does not affect the grade, directly, many collectors prefer to find an earlier die state, and so it can affect the value in a nagative way.

Looks like it's still 50/50

A physical side by side comparison with a MS and then a Proof should yield better results than a mind only comparison.

Looks like it's still 50/50

A physical side by side comparison with a MS and then a Proof should yield better results than a mind only comparison.