• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Customer rebates for scratched holder claim?

22 posts in this topic

I had this proof silver eagle in an NGC slab that the customer emailed me had scratches and would I deduct $20 please from the $80 hammer price after the sale?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=251217045514

How do others handle these claims? I had bought a group of PSEs, mainly NGC certified coins. Quality control is tough with regards to holders and I know there are threads on holder repair; I have bought a buffer and plastic repair stuff that should work. Frankly I don't remember there being a major problem on the slab as the customer indicated.

If it is a Chinese buyer, it is almost certainly a scam. Maybe a year ago I started to get a lot of the "damaged in shipping" slab emails and requests for money back - usually $20. The emails would come from different buyers - all in China - but with nearly identical wording in good English. The funny thing is, any follow-up questions were answered by them in awful broken English. I'd request a picture and oddly enough, every single buyer except one were unable to provide a picture since their phone camera was broken. I offered all of them - except the one guy who provided proof - a full refund including their shipping costs back to me. Not a single buyer took me up on the offer. They all kept the coins. hm

Even if your buyer is in the US, I'd want to see proof. If there appears to be damage, it's probably worth it to give them the $20 to make them go away happy. If they can't provide proof or the pics don't show much damage to you, offer them a full refund including their return shipping. Most likely they won't take it.

Thanks for the feedback. I did not ask for proof and it was an American buyer, but hopefully ebay and paypal make note of those who play this type of game and if they see a pattern will take action. $20 kills my profit and then some and with all the charges on ebay that is not good.

I'm going to have to be a lot more alert to various ruses in the future on ebay. So far I have been pretty fortunate. I told the guy there are plenty of threads on holder repair; and if the holder is really bad NGC will reholder for a lot less and a lot faster than the leading competition.

I'm going to have to be a lot more alert to various ruses in the future on ebay. So far I have been pretty fortunate. I told the guy there are plenty of threads on holder repair; and if the holder is really bad NGC will reholder for a lot less and a lot faster than the leading competition.

He was probably going to take your 20. relist the coin and profit. Check out what he sells

I never offer partial refunds.....sometimes it worth my time to do so but on principal alone I would refund the whole amount and have them send me the coin back.....there is no reason for a seller to have to provide a partial refund for slab scratches when most of the scratches on the planet have scratches.

I recently bought a toned Morgan that I planned to resale as part of my Ebay business and the slab is so scratched up not only can't I image it, if I were to sell it the buyer would almost certainly send it back. I did not contact the seller for a partial refund as it's a part of doing business for me so I will send the coin in for a reholder with my next NGC submission.

Are they buying or are you selling the coin or the slab? Just wondering, tell them you only sold the coin, the packaging was free
If you bought a coin in an NGC or PCGS slab, would you be angry if the seller cracked the coin out and sent you the coin in a raw state? You're buying the coin and not the packaging after all.

I would throw the slab in for free, my point is a scratched slab in no way impacts the coin, to give any refund whatsoever for scratches makes no sense, my comment was tongue in cheek

Scratched slabs are part of the deal. It's in your best interest to buff them up as well as you can before imaging.

It's also a good idea to note scratched holders in your posting.

Only full refunds for me.

I'm sorry there is a problem with the item. Please return it for a full refund. I want buyers to be happy with any purchase they make. Let me know and please watch my future listings. I have some great items coming up.

When he sends a reply, you will know if he is someone you should block in the future.

The major Auction Companies don't discount a slabbed item because it has been mishandled and rarely or ever note such comments. So NO, I don't believe you should further discount the slabbed coin because of the holder condition. If you feel compelled to do anything, offer the full refund upon the buyer meeting the return policy.

I just received a coin I won at a Heritage Auction. It had a very deep scratch on the slab reverse. It almost looks like a crack, but I didn't want to "test" it by pushing too hard. I went back and looked at the auction pictures and there was no scratch on the reverse. I contacted them today and after discussing with their customer service, I sent in pictures and was directed to return it and they will have it re-slabbed.

If it was a normal scratch, I wouldn't have bothered, but this one was deep and could actually have been a crack and affected the coin over time. I am pleased they are willing to do this for me.

On another note, I have received some lightly scratched slabs via online auctions and while disappointed have not complained. If I see a heavily scratched slab, I'll usually stay away from bidding unless the coin is gorgeous.

Have any of you guys received a neg for sending out a scratched, chipped, or otherwise damaged slab without disclosing it in your auction description?

I received a neg because the slab was broken by the Post Office and the buyer never bothered to contact me, but just left the neg.

I just received a coin I won at a Heritage Auction. It had a very deep scratch on the slab reverse. It almost looks like a crack, but I didn't want to "test" it by pushing too hard. I went back and looked at the auction pictures and there was no scratch on the reverse. I contacted them today and after discussing with their customer service, I sent in pictures and was directed to return it and they will have it re-slabbed.

If it was a normal scratch, I wouldn't have bothered, but this one was deep and could actually have been a crack and affected the coin over time. I am pleased they are willing to do this for me.

On another note, I have received some lightly scratched slabs via online auctions and while disappointed have not complained. If I see a heavily scratched slab, I'll usually stay away from bidding unless the coin is gorgeous.

Is it possible the slab was cracked during shipping? Nice customer service on the part of Heritage.

Have any of you guys received a neg for sending out a scratched, chipped, or otherwise damaged slab without disclosing it in your auction description?

I received a neg because the slab was broken by the Post Office and the buyer never bothered to contact me, but just left the neg.

I'm guessing he gave you a neg for poor packaging since it was damaged during shipping. He should have given you a chance to fix the problem and you should definitely block him. Who was this buyer?

Is it possible the slab was cracked during shipping? Nice customer service on the part of Heritage.

Yes, it's possible. It was packaged with some other coins I won so it's hard to say. I don't remember if it was one of the end coins or in the middle. They typically package them well.

This particular coin isn't even high value, but they are going to re-slab it for me. I paid shipping back to heritage, but that's no big deal to me.