• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

these bust half-dollars are not controversial at all, like Ankur's was...

39 posts in this topic

How long have you had those coins in the album? Since so many of the coins have beautiful album toning, I was just wondering if you added them that way or if you've had them in the album for a length of time and this album is what developed the toning.
Thanks to everyone, even (worship) HardTimes :) ! I really appreciate the kind comments :whee: .

Most of the coins were already at least a little toned when I bought them, but since 1998, I've been adding coins to these albums... s l o w l y obviously.

The interesting thing is that the albums do seem to provide some toning capacity over a long time, but as HardTimes pointed out, it seems to be coins that were dipped or cleaned prior that do the best. The 1809 used to be pasty white, and the 1822, 1827 and the 1831 used to be dipped blast white. These have taken on awfully nice tone, in my opinion. Many other coins have increased their toning perceptibly, but aside from the coins that were white, the album toning is not a rapid process at all.

I have these albums (along with dozens of others) stored in an upstairs closet, in still air with the door closed, and it stays warm up there year 'round. In fact, if my thermostat is to believed, in the summer the temperature can get to 130 if I suppress air-conditioning. In the winter (now), the room stays up near 80 because of warm air rising from the house, plus heating, of course. I believe the heat is critical to the toning process.

Interestingly, coins that are already toned seem to reach a "terminal" point. I cracked the 1820/19 out of a PCGS AU-55 green-label holder, and it was already amazingly well-toned. To my eye, it has not changed in the slightest, nor have several of the other toned coins.

The 1795 used to be normal, even grey, but after about eight years, it now has gorgeous indigo-blue iridescence, very reminiscent of Ankur's AU-53 half. The album has imparted the kind of toning that explodes under a narrow viewing angle, but isn't really visible from 90 degrees -- kinda like Ankur's.

There is one major loser for me in the set, and I hope our host doesn't take offense. But the 1815/2 was removed from an NGC VF-35 holder, not less than ten years ago. I realized later on that the coin was actually whizzed, although it subsequently retoned (I bought it already toned). I never should have cracked that one out, which is a lesson to anyone even contemplating cracking out coins for an album collection!!!!

David Lange posted not too long ago that albums lose their capacity to tone. My experience is that the capacity may diminish, but is not necessarily completely lost, and under controlled conditions ("heat"), may still work their magic. Definitely though, dipped/stripped coins tone the fastest.

Then would you say that if somebody wanted one to tone better they should dip it first? Mind you I know nothing about any of this. I have nothing to do this with, just curious

That's a heck of a group, but do any of the coins slide around a bit and pick up hairlines?

Tom, it's a great question. I will eventually get around to securing the coins better with "shims", but for now, my strategy is simple: never move the album.

I did gently -- very gently -- pull the albums down for just these images, because I am rearranging the closet, but I am foolish for not shimming them in better. Maybe that will be my project this weekend!

To HardTimes previous points made, slabs make it next to impossible for certified coins to receive incidental hairlines, but it is simple to make albums or other legitimate holders just as kinetically inert.

I remove many of my comics from slabs to better enjoy them in their natural state ( and to read them :insane: )....although I've never done so with a coin....not even sure how. The CBH's look great in the album and coming from James I would not hesitate to purchase one with his assurance that it was previously slabbed....providing of course, that I could even afford it to begin with. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u