• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One more.. is it fake? US GOLD

22 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity I'd like to know what it weighs. Most cheap copies are way off size/weight from genuine pieces making them easy to verify as non-gold. The concept behind the "fisch" tester works on bullion gold coins.

the 12th star is far from the feather. All the one's I've seen, the last star (13th) is almost sitting on the feather.

Forget about the stars - you don't even need to focus on smaller details like that. The Indian portrait is very different from that seen on genuine examples. And ditto for the eagle.

the 12th star is far from the feather. All the one's I've seen, the last star (13th) is almost sitting on the feather.

If you need to look at the stars on this coin to determine that it is fake you should switch to collecting something else.

That's a terrible copy. Seriously, YOU should be able to tell, simply by looking at images of a genuine one.

+1 It's not even close. The obverse bust, the stars, and the date are all wrong (and that's before you flip it over); literally even thing looks off and it is the worst counterfeit gold coin I think I have ever seen both in person and online.

Someone used hand engraved dies to make this fake. Most US gold counterfeits are made with transfer dies using a real coin as a model and are far better in design and quality than this one. My first thought was that it was one of those gold foil covered chocolate coins.

If you compare your piece to a genuine example you will see that the details in the die work are WAY OFF on that fake. Here is a genuine piece you can use for your comparison.

191310O.jpg191310R.jpg

Relax...just peel away the gold foil and enjoy the chocolate center. :grin:

:roflmao: i love chocolate..

Easy now... i know its not a real 10 $ indian.. i got a couple right next to me to compare with this one but dont need to.. quick look and even i can tell its not indian.

but the seller is discribing this coin as a mafia coin made in 1920-1930.

the coin is 0.4 gram off standart weight and it is for sure gold. 900/1000

coin was illigal made by san francisco mint on mafia order.

So this is just a good story or what???

sellers got 5650 sold items and 100% feedback and sells alot cool coins

i have made some good deals with him in the past.

gonna call him this weekend and ask more about the coin.

any info you want from him?