• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice visit at Grandmas. She has a little horde :)

17 posts in this topic

So, I went to my grandmas today and out of nowhere she pulls out this bag of coins. All silver, pre 64 coins. Not ictured was also the 20-25 Morgan and Peace dollars found afterwards. It was really cool to browse through these, and I'm not even done.

grandmaslilhoard.jpg

Right away, I saw a nice shiny penny in a sealed plastic bag. It sort of looked like it was in lollypop plastic. I see it's not really double vision double, but it's definitely a variety. Anyone know anything about this variety?

1955sa.jpg

12345wq.jpg

Tom- It was really cool. There's still much to go through. These haven't seen the light since 1970, so to be the first to browse....awesome. The penny, I'm not sure about. Doesn't quite look like double die, but doesn't look right.

nice stashe, i wonder what else she has for goodies in there. just curious is all :)

No idea what's in there. I just browsed to see if any rare dates stood out, but I could have easily looked over something. What's interesting is the coins that come in lollypop wrappers. They're even printed with coin info w/ grade.

Know anything about that weird looking date on the penny?

Considered poor mans double die?

Not clear enough picture to tell, but it could be 1MM-005 s/s South (or 006 if split serif), late die state. Could also just be a filled die. Long time since I knew this stuff. Maybe check Chucks' site lincolncent.com. Even though he is not active anymore, I think he left his research site up.

nice stashe, i wonder what else she has for goodies in there. just curious is all :)

No idea what's in there. I just browsed to see if any rare dates stood out, but I could have easily looked over something. What's interesting is the coins that come in lollypop wrappers. They're even printed with coin info w/ grade.

Her lollipop coins are probably from littleton coin company

Her lollipop coins are probably from littleton coin company

Yea, you can see Littleton on the wrappers.

Thanks Bobby.

Grandma is a doll for sure. The past two times I wen't over she was showing me coins. She thinks more are stashed throughout the house because my grandfather was like a squirrel with coins.

So, I went to my grandmas today and out of nowhere she pulls out this bag of coins. All silver, pre 64 coins. Not ictured was also the 20-25 Morgan and Peace dollars found afterwards. It was really cool to browse through these, and I'm not even done.

grandmaslilhoard.jpg

Right away, I saw a nice shiny penny in a sealed plastic bag. It sort of looked like it was in lollypop plastic. I see it's not really double vision double, but it's definitely a variety. Anyone know anything about this variety?

1955sa.jpg

12345wq.jpg

These are die chips, and they are fairly common in and around the lettering on Wheat cents.

Awesome! I ran into a nice silver horde about 2 years ago. An older friend (about 40 years older than me) pulled out $100 face of mercury dimes, $50 in silver Roosevelt's and said "can you get me like $300 for this?". I laughed and said "sure, ill keep the extra couple grand!".

All said and done after I pulled the keepers (with his consent) I put a little over $3,500 in his pocket.

But back to the point, make sure to thank her just for excitement of looking through it!