• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Win! Got one of my white whales!

23 posts in this topic

Been waiting and waiting and waiting for a 1925 MS67 with oh so attractive orange peel and frost. A few have came up but I didnt have the funds at the time.... Thank goodness because this has hands down the cleanest obverse I have seen on a MS67 ( from the pics). Best part is NGC's sell for less than what I paid typically, but PCGS ones typically sell for $5K+. One that I feel is inferior ( based upon pics) just sold in the FUN auction for $6K +. Anyhow, now I just cross my fingers that the pics are accurate. I have bought from Ian many times before and never been disappointed... :wishluck:

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/97073/1925-Peace-Silver-Dollar-NGC-MS-67

The surfaces look remarkably clean, but if you enlarge the images to the maximum permitted on the Great Collections website, it looks like it has some residue from an improper rinse after a dip in the past. This was the reason that I decided to pass. If it wasn't for this, I would have bid on it. Regardless, I still think it is a nice coin. Congratulations!

Hi Kenny,

Great comments... Most of the coin I see with this frost/orange peel look tend to have that coloration. I love the look myself. Im not sure if its toning that doesnt pertrude on the frosted areas or just maybe it is from an old dipping as you alluded to. Here is a truview of another example.

MS67_zps1ecfedbf.jpg

I suspect the reason it didn't bring 67 money will become apparent when you go resell. Superb 20th cen gems in NGC plastic is a very weak part of the market and that is when they are graded correctly/consistent with market standards and I have some doubts about the luster and skin on that one at least in respect to what it would take to get it into pcgs plastic.

I suspect the reason it didn't bring 67 money will become apparent when you go resell. Superb 20th cen gems in NGC plastic is a very weak part of the market and that is when they are greased correctly/consistent with market standards and I have some doubts about the luster and skin on that one at least in respect to what it would take to get it into pcgs plastic.

Have you ever purchased a coin from Great Collections? The reason why I ask is this: Are you relying solely on the image, or are you interpreting it based on your images of how the GC images will translate to the coin in hand? Based on my experience with this auction house, I think the luster will be stronger in hand.

Cac evens things up doesn't it?

In theory yes; in practice not always particularly with top pops. There are some bidders that will pay more for an identical coin in a PCGS holder than a NGC holder. Reasons can include, among other things, the use of the coin in a PCGS Registry. I would rather have the best coin for the money personally.

I suspect the reason it didn't bring 67 money will become apparent when you go resell. Superb 20th cen gems in NGC plastic is a very weak part of the market and that is when they are greased correctly/consistent with market standards and I have some doubts about the luster and skin on that one at least in respect to what it would take to get it into pcgs plastic.

Have you ever purchased a coin from Great Collections? The reason why I ask is this: Are you relying solely on the image, or are you interpreting it based on your images of how the GC images will translate to the coin in hand? Based on my experience with this auction house, I think the luster will be stronger in hand.

I have, here is the last coin I bought from them which I gladly crossed to PCGS58 (for the record I agree with the NGC grade but ownership adds a point)

75%20s-cc.jpg

I gladly took the NGC discount on a quality slider and saved about 1k. The difference being that the value of the coin I posted isn't really dependent on one or so grade points and just being a slider in the market preferred plastic more than makes up for the drop in grade. When that 67 becomes a 66 or worse he will have a very costly lesson indeed.

While GC pictures aren't the best they are consistent which is far more important than initial quality in picking up fine details. While I agree they do mute the luster, one only needs to look at enough of them to learn to interpret.

all I know is I was bidding as if I was bidding on a PCGS coin.... I am extremely confident in my grading abilities and once it arrives I will know if I have a MS67 or not =) Ya see there is this funny thing called a hammer. Its extremely good at busting up things such as plastic ;) If people are going to continue to pay bizzare premiums for PCGS slabs, than my hammer will continue to get use.

Here is the one that just sold for $6400 no CAC

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1181&lotNo=6416#92989298876

I like the orange peel but IF that coin doesnt cross to PCGS, it will be because of the soft strike, in my humble opinion.

The PCGS coin that was posted sure has a lot of hits for a 67.