• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof Walker Newp from FUN

18 posts in this topic

At the risk of sounding like a big bad meanie, I don't like the coin. It displays dark stains on each side and is an easy type to locate in high grades with essentially problem-free surfaces and considerable eye appeal.

Perhaps it looks a lot better in hand, however.

Be careful Mark. Expressing a negative opinion about a coin gets me called all sorts of names, ridiculed for being too negative, and a whole firestorm. How dare you talk honestly about a coin and its problems!

For what its worth, John, I agree with Mark. I find the spots distracting, at least from the view you have provided us.

The spots aren't very noticeable in hand under normal viewing light. The pictures were taken with rather diffuse light, which do make the spots pop out a bit. The big thing I liked about this coin was the full detail. So many of the 1941 proofs are struck from weak, overpolished dies, missing not only the designer's initials, but also half of the detail in the flag.

The spots aren't very noticeable in hand under normal viewing light. The pictures were taken with rather diffuse light, which do make the spots pop out a bit. The big thing I liked about this coin was the full detail. So many of the 1941 proofs are struck from weak, overpolished dies, missing not only the designer's initials, but also half of the detail in the flag.

Thanks John.

The different attributes of coins upon which people place emphasis and importance, interests me. For example, I do not usually pay much attention to strike, unless it is so weak as to catch my attention. However, I know many collectors and dealers who care a great deal about it. I generally care more about color and clean surfaces, but those factors aren't that important to everyone else. Each of us has our own biases and preferences and it makes the hobby more interesting.

Messydesk--I give it my seal of approval. The strike is great and so are the surfaces and luster. I see the spots but I don't think that they are large enough (even in the images) to bother me much at all. Nice Proof Walker! Congrats!!

Be careful Mark. Expressing a negative opinion about a coin gets me called all sorts of names, ridiculed for being too negative, and a whole firestorm. How dare you talk honestly about a coin and its problems!

For what its worth, John, I agree with Mark. I find the spots distracting, at least from the view you have provided us.

Jason, it's not your honesty that gets you ridiculed. It's your inability to express a negative opinion with tact. I have never heard Mark express his opinions of a coin by saying that it looked like someone "puked on it" as you did in a recent thread. That's the difference between a professional and you.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

what i like about this proof walker is the surfaces have a nice skin to it as an original undipped proof walker

and i bet this proof walker looks much, MUCH better in hand sight seen

Well, if you like it, that's all that really counts.

(thumbs u

It would not work for my collection. Generally, I like coins with patina, sometimes even if not attractive, but proof Walkers is one series where I like the coins to be dipped white, and spots are a distraction. However, I'm glad you enjoy it!

lets see some better pics!

Perhaps I'll do a stereogram will less diffuse light. I don't expect that it will swing those who don't care for the coin to suddenly like it, nor is that my goal, but it should provide a more in-hand look to the coin. Besides, doing this sounds more fun than diving into my tax return.

lets see some better pics!

He is one of the top 3 coin photographer's in my opinion. You likely got his best shot. Like Mark, I'm not a strike freak unless it really stands outs. I can understand why some are. If John bought it I trust it had considerable merit. He has good taste and sees a ton of coins. Proof Wakers are a bear to capture the total essence of the coin. MJ