• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it a fake ... Trade Dollar

18 posts in this topic

I have been collecting Morgans and eagles for years... bought my 1st "Trade Dollar" and I think I learned an expensive lesson... weighed over 25g and I bought from a dealer but....

Not real sure how to add photos but I have some very high res photos if anyone can help me ...

Steve@tulloh.com

133982.jpg.cc60f4739780d48e8281fb15687c1c14.jpg

133983.jpg.442bd0587f51f7e229300591f4b2ffec.jpg

133984.jpg.777e65bf9eefee17445a22bccd11b80e.jpg

133985.jpg.965f18e08817abe1b154c71e4114d4ae.jpg

133986.jpg.53e80eba522eeefed447a11ab7b1095f.jpg

While TDN has forgot more than I know, I am going to wager a guess in the opposite direction. While one needs to see the coin in hand to know for sure I will state some observations

1: that is a known and some what scarce die pair; as a type 1/2 large S the date and mint mark are correct.

2. I think the grainy looks to be an effect of the photography, also it appears to be silver in the way the patina looks although that's subjective

3. My other tells like feather relief and letter depth among others give no red flags

The only thing you said that concerns me is the 25grams comment where an vf+-xf coin should be in the 26.9-27.1 range with 27+ being where you want to be.

If you recheck the weight and it is correct I would say you are fine but if not you have a cast coin made off of a real one. I am guessing if you get a proper weight it will check out ok. Be careful going forward with raw coins until you have held a few hundred in your hands and know what to look for. Also check out my signature line as my set has an example of many different coins in the series to use as a reference. Don't get dissuaded as it is a amazing series with a lot of cool history behind them and once you learn your way around there are some very good deals on the raw ones out there.

Feel free to PM me if you ever have specific questions although I don't log on here very often. I mainly am across at PCGS where there is a larger active TD collector base.

I am taking photos with a 200x microscope... so you are seeing a ton of pitting etc... Tradedollarnut... what makes you think so?

The overall 'look' of the coin - and the mushiness of the reeding

First post said it weighed over 25 grams, last post said it weighed 24.7 grams. Saying it weighed over 25 grams didn't tell us anything, but a weight of 24.7 grams definitely says fake.

First post said it weighed over 25 grams, last post said it weighed 24.7 grams. Saying it weighed over 25 grams didn't tell us anything, but a weight of 24.7 grams definitely says fake.

Agreed, I thought it might be just bad pictures but the weight is a dead giveaway. It is a pretty good casting though or transfer die. It even imparted the funky left wing that is known for the issue.

Should have only needed a scale it it weighed 24.7 g. It's supposed to weigh 27.2.

Quite often the reeding is the most carelessly executed part of a fake, and that was the first thing that hit me in the pictures you showed. I hope you can return it (preferred), stop payment on your check, or do a credit card chargeback.

Does the reeding go all the way around the coin? or is there a small area that looks sanded/filed clean?

The reason I ask is it looks poured rather than struck, and if so the pouring came in from an edge.