• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Genius or an Idiot - Only time will tell...

7 posts in this topic

Bought a new coin for my Bust half dime set.

Buying a new coin for my set doesn't seem like much of an event, at least until I tell you it is raw. Like most every one here, I've been burnt on cleaned/doctored coins in the past. So, am I a genius or a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person to try this again?

The coin - 1832 Capped Bust Half Dime

As described by the seller an MS 64+++. I looked at the pics and really liked it. I contacted the seller and asked a few questions including a payment arrangement to allow a few extra days until payday. Seller agreed and I placed a $380 bid and won it for my maximum bid.

The die marriage isn't rare, but the grade looks to be MS. I can't wait to get it here, verify that I believe it to be unaltered and then get it into NGC's hands.

Anything less than MS 60/Details and I'll brand myself an insufficiently_thoughtful_person -MS 60-62 and I'm even. MS 63 or better and I'm probably just lucky. Although, I should have learned about buying from pictures, as it rarely ever works out in my favor...

That's it until the coin arrives in February. I'll share a pic prior to sending it into NGC.

Todd

Today's Pic - The obverse of my latest graded Bust Half Dime addition - NGC XF 40 1829.

12954.jpg

See more journals by TD Henson

TD- I would love to get some tips on how to tell if a coin has been cleaned improperly or not. This has been my weakness and I have been burned so much I quit buying raw coins altogether, but still get drawn in by the lure at every show.

I appreciate all the valuable information I can get.

Best of luck with the submission!

Todd,

Good luck with submitting the 1832 dime. Most of us have been burnt on detail problem coins but still venture on the success of the good ones out there. I just tried my luck on a bunch yesterday and if it is a flop, well - I will probably try again in a year or so.

Bought a new coin for my Bust half dime set.

Buying a new coin for my set doesn't seem like much of an event, at least until I tell you it is raw. Like most every one here, I've been burnt on cleaned/doctored coins in the past. So, am I a genius or a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person to try this again?

The coin - 1832 Capped Bust Half Dime

As described by the seller an MS 64+++. I looked at the pics and really liked it. I contacted the seller and asked a few questions including a payment arrangement to allow a few extra days until payday. Seller agreed and I placed a $380 bid and won it for my maximum bid...

When a seller lists an uncertified coin as MS64+ and is willing to sell it for approximately MS61 money, it almost always means one of two things:1) The seller was correct in his assessment and incredibly generous (in willing to sell an $1100+ coin for only $380) so the buyer got a great deal.or2) The buyer, who thought that he'd gotten a great deal, actually over-paid for a coin that was even more over-graded than he thought it might be.And based on what I have seen in this industry during the past 30+ years, the chances of #1 above, pale in comparison to those of #2. Of course, most people like to think they can beat those overwhelming odds, so they keep trying. And far more times than not, they lose, while the sellers get rich.