• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Eagle Toning Experiment - Soliciting Participants!

78 posts in this topic

thread from year ago

thread about similar - DWLange even links an experiment he did with a 1982-d washington half dollar. I feel the 99% silver will tone much faster than anything else though.

Have you considered a Dansco page for SAEs?

I don't have the patience to wait what could be 'years' for anything so thanks for the offer, but I will just keep on searching for aftermarket holders or PCI slabs to find my cool ASEs.

oldschool59, are you still interested in participating? If not, no biggie, we can pick someone else up. I've got everyone else's coins, and getting ready to cut into that Wayte Raymond, lol.

Anyone else interested in case oldschool59 isn't?

Cool that this is almost ready to start.

I'm actually interested in the cutting of the wayte albums.

Too much to ask if you take pics of that process? Ie.....just using a knife? Sanding the insides smooth?

When I looked at mine (half-dollars), it didn't look as feasible to cut much larger as they would move onto the other row, and even then, just using an utility knife looked like it wouldn't be that easy and would make for a rougher inside (more debris sitting around the corners which could lead to spotty toning in that area).

Cool that this is almost ready to start.

I'm actually interested in the cutting of the wayte albums.

Too much to ask if you take pics of that process? Ie.....just using a knife? Sanding the insides smooth?

When I looked at mine (half-dollars), it didn't look as feasible to cut much larger as they would move onto the other row, and even then, just using an utility knife looked like it wouldn't be that easy and would make for a rougher inside (more debris sitting around the corners which could lead to spotty toning in that area).

I've done some rough estimates via photoshop that show I can create 6 silver eagle sized holes with no issue.

I will be glad to photograph and record some of the work.

Can you put a webcam on the coins 24/7...id like to watch along and see what happens to the toning.

I actually could probably do that.

I'm going to do some painting in my house, anybody want a webcam set up to watch the paint dry?

Can you put a webcam on the coins 24/7...id like to watch along and see what happens to the toning.

I actually could probably do that.

I'm going to do some painting in my house, anybody want a webcam set up to watch the paint dry?

I would love to watch the paint dry, could you angle the web cam so I can also see the grass grow?

I don't know what you're talking about. The Prez just said that the economy is growing, we are in recovery mode, and I KNOW he wouldn't lie.... On the other hand, I just got my paycheck and apparently when I wasn't looking, I became rich. I know this because the government is taking more money out of my check than before and I distinctly remember him saying he wasn't going to raise taxes on the middle class....

I don't know what you're talking about. The Prez just said that the economy is growing, we are in recovery mode, and I KNOW he wouldn't lie.... On the other hand, I just got my paycheck and apparently when I wasn't looking, I became rich. I know this because the government is taking more money out of my check than before and I distinctly remember him saying he wasn't going to raise taxes on the middle class....

:roflmao:

P.T> Barnum!

I'm still wondering how it's possible to cut new holes in the page.

Easy. Two pieces of scrap plywood, a couple of clamps, and this:

http://dewitt-tool.com/ams30026-26l-1-5-8-41mm-holesaw.aspx

I will also purchase a 38mm hole saw bit for the canadian coin.

FYI: I will confirm a tight fit of the coin using this bit before I drill into the wayte raymond.

Interesting experiment but I am going to guess you're get a lot of rather drab spotty browns, some decent ambers and a few blues...

At least that is the typical colors I have seen from WR albums on Morgans and Peace $... I never seen rainbows on silver $ from WR.

Though I have seen rainbows on Buffs and Jeffs from WR...

Good luck and please post the IP addy of the Toning Cam ! lol

Here is the secret to insomnia, it works with my kids everytime, like on xmas eve, they can't sleep, so I tell them, we are going to stay up all night so we see santa. Lights out in short order

On the other hand, I just got my paycheck and apparently when I wasn't looking, I became rich. I know this because the government is taking more money out of my check than before and I distinctly remember him saying he wasn't going to raise taxes on the middle class....

Just goes to show how great a President Obama is. When he first took office the economy was collapsing, and now after just four short years EVERYONE is rich and eligible to have their taxes raised.

If you havent bought the hole saw yet, I had an idea. Stop at a local high school, tell the shop teacher what you are trying to do, there is a part called a forstner bit that is used to make flat bottomed holes. He could make the hole as deep as you want it without going through the album. (if thats what you want)

just an idea and will save you a couple of bucks.

OK guys, sorry for the delay, but I just got over the stomach virus, and then, the FLU. So I had a real FML kinda 2 weeks there, but now I'm in the clear.

Made the first hole this morning, 5 more to go

Coin is snug as can be.

The acetate slides are obviously useless on a coin of this size.

IMG_20130303_085549_975.jpg

It's strange, I am trying the taco bell napkin on a couple of silver eagles here, wrapped 2 of them in a napkin, 1 of them I put in a zip lock, the other out, I put them both on my water heater. The one in the ziplock is blast white, the one I left out is toned yellow around the edge on 1 side. Exactly the opposite of what I thought would happen. Looks like you did a good job on the hole