• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first NGC submission

10 posts in this topic

A good experience

For my first 14 months on the NGC Collectors Society webpage I had only the free membership. After those first few months, I decided that having a paid membership was worth the information available in the census reports. When it came time to renew that basic membership, I went one step further and decided I would get the premium membership so that I could submit my first 5 coins for grading to NGC. That certificate was set to expire on 1/13/2013, so I had to get my act together and get that submission made.

I have a fairly large group of raw horse-related coins, and so I decided to send in a selection of 5 coins from among those. Nothing high dollar here -- just some coins that I'd like to add to my horse custom set. I thought for a while, and in the end I sent 5 coins, but only 3 different types (I sent a single of one design, and a pair of two other designs). The turn-around from my door round-trip back to my door was 20 days. In particular, the dates were:

1/2/2013: Sent via Registered Mail to NGC

1/7/2013: Received by NGC

1/8/2013: Scheduled for grading

1/15/2013: Graded and passed quality control

1/15/2013: Finalized/Imaged/Shipped from NGC to me

1/22/2013: Received the coins back from NGC

Overall it was a good learning experience, and I'm happy with the results of this undertaking. I'm posting below my favorite coin of the bunch, and I'll post images of all 5 of the coins (with grades) on the Chat Boards.

I am hoping this year to submit a dozen or so coins in addition to my 5 coins for my premium membership certificate. Now that I've experienced the process and realize how painless it is, let the fun begin!!

All the best, and I hope everyone is enjoying their 2013 so far!

-Brandon

12932.jpg

See more journals by The BRG Collection

Congrats, what were your expectations? (or hopes)

In order I thought:

MS66/67

PF65UC

PF66UC

PF69UC or PF70UC

PF69UC

All in all, I was pleased with the grades. The two Russian coins would have benefited from conservation (they exhibit some clouding), but they are $15 coins, so I didn't want to get carried away. :)

Brandon,

A few more nice looking coins for the custom set.

The cost for the modern coins through NCS is really not too expensive. $25 each and that includes the grading and all. Wish they offered the 15% off like NGC does for the premium membership package.

Later-----Rick

Brandon,

A few more nice looking coins for the custom set.

The cost for the modern coins through NCS is really not too expensive. $25 each and that includes the grading and all. Wish they offered the 15% off like NGC does for the premium membership package.

Later-----Rick

Thanks Rick for that information. I think I will pull together 5 or more modern coins that could use some conservation and add that invoice to my next submission. :)

-Brandon

Brandon,

Love your pictures!!! Great submission. I really like the Italian coin and I would of thought it had a shot at 67. Fields are very clean and relatively mark free.

Hard to believe this was your first submission. It is addictive!!

Todd