• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eyewear and Coin Collecting

7 posts in this topic

A little less strain, and alot more detail.

Having grown up in the optical world and taken it on as my profession I have learned alot of things. Being a coin collector, I have also learned how to make it easier.

Looking for small details for extended periods of time and be brutual on the eyes. Having a really good pair of properly fit eyeglasses will make huge differences in your experience.

If you have a strong prescription or no prescription at all, you have alot to gain by investing in a quality pair.

Off the shelf readers are evil and do more harm than good. The are a generic cut lens. They were not made for you, so the optical center of the lens is off and will cause your eye to strain. Plus they do not have Anit-Reflective coating, which is key!

If you wear prescription glasses, get Anit-Reflective coating on them! It allows more light ot pass through the lens, reduces reflections, cuts glare, and it will reduce strain your eyes dramatically!

If you don't wear prescriptions glasses you can order a great pair of AR coated glasses with PLANO lenses and you will be on your way to keeping your eyes healthy and making you experince alot "clearer".

You can even go above and beyond. I had my doctor write a -script for +20.00 lenses. When I wear my contacts (that set my eyes back to 0.00) the +20.00 creates 5x magnification. Most of the time I don't need a loupe to see problems, so it saves much time! (Note: every +4.00 diopters = 1x magnification. ie. =12.00 would be 3x magnification.)

Treat your eyes right, take care of them and they will take care of you.

See more journals by TheWolverine

You should also mention polycarbonate lenses, they are thinner and lighter. Great post by the way

Poly is thinner and lighter, bit tends to cause distortion, especially in stronger powers. If you are going to go for thinner and lighter, Trivex is the way to go. It the absolute lightest and the hardest material. It will give the best visual acuity of any material. If you are going to go crazy like I did and make magnifiers, as for a plastic lenticular lens. Its better than a poly aspheric, I have both.

Wolverine,

Sounds like I need an appointment with you. My eye doc told me my eyes were good but I know what I see and can't see. Too bad you are all the way up in Massy.

Rick

Explain to the doc what you're looking for and they will usually help you out. The doctor may even write you a seperate custom Rx. Often they do it for "computer glasses", just say you want coin glasses. :)

If you ever travel up for the Bay State Coin show, I'd be more than happy to make you some glasses

You should also mention polycarbonate lenses, they are thinner and lighter. Great post by the way

Poly is thinner and lighter, bit tends to cause distortion, especially in stronger powers. If you are going to go for thinner and lighter, Trivex is the way to go. It the absolute lightest and the hardest material. It will give the best visual acuity of any material. If you are going to go crazy like I did and make magnifiers, as for a plastic lenticular lens. Its better than a poly aspheric, I have both.

Thanks for the clarification, back in the mid 80's I worked as an optician for a couple years, obviously newer materials since then, progress.......

THANK YOU AstroTrain❗️

I remembered this post and showed it to my eye doctor; he seemed unaware of this practice but proceeded with writing the prescription and then filling the aforementioned -script. These were cheaper than my loupe and much easier to use. I was surprised my Doctor was not knowledgeable on this subject but in East Texas they just recently started car jacking and crack abuse; which they think is a new thing. Anyway, for those that require eye glasses this is unbelievable effective and my most valuable numismatist accessory,

Blind David #