• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1941-S JEFFERSON LARGE S VARIETY IN MS67' posted by Jim Berline

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Don't hold your breath waiting at auction at this grade level

Here's a Jefferson Variety that's becoming very popular

due to its limited supply in higher grades.Well known Author' Bernard Nagengast mentioned in the Jeff-Nickel Analyst that 10 dies were made to create the 1941-S Jefferson nickel.

From all those dies only(1)was a mistakenly struck mintmark that brought about this incredible variety. When in search for these,always remember to loupe-in - and look for the Trianglar Serif, to verify it.

Both sides of this coin, the fields are clean an clear of any distractions. Just a great find of a rare piece that definitely belongs in my collection.

So Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus'( A month late, but,thats Ok!

As of this date Jan/2013' Ngc has only certified (3) at this grade level in MS-67, where none reached a full-step yet.

I'm assuming I have the only one due to a few obscured sets I can't view to speak about.

Oh, PCGS is still trying to catch up!

----------------------------------------------------

12911.jpg

See more journals by Jim Berline

Jim,

I was completely oblivious to this variety. Just looked it up in the CP guide and see what you mean about the triangular serif. You taught me something new today.

Great addition to your set!

Todd

Jim,

That is an incredible coin. An MS67 Large S is a monster coin, congratulations! I own a couple of 41 Large S Jeffs but they are both graded MS65. Here is a photo of one.

JN1941-SLargeSNGCMS65wLabel.jpg

I few months ago I wrote an thread about the 41 Large S on Cointalk, check out the thread and let me know what you think.

VARIETY: Jefferson Nickel 1941-S Large "S" FS-501

Paul