• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: NGC or PCGS Peace Dollar Black Beauty

22 posts in this topic

I've only seen Morgans. I've never seen a Peace.

And finding a black toned coin with good luster is an oxymoron. It doesn't exist.

Just because you haven't seen a black beauty peace dollar, or a lustrous black beauty morgan, doesn't mean they don't exist.

And why disrupt my BST with your negativity?

Didn't you take a hiatus recently because you were extremely negative and condescending to everyone?

I have an 81S quite like the one on JonE's website. Not quite as gone, mainly purple and russet along with a myriad of other color, but completely toned, no white left.

I have seen numerous all black coins with killer luster...never Peace dollars but all black can have great luster or be dull as a chalk board depending how far along they are in the toning process.

All the Black Peace $1's I've see have been 1921 HR's three were business strikes and two proofs. All had underlying luster and upon close inspection. The so called Black on some when viewed also had deep electric blue, violet, rose, purple, and brown. The last one I've seen was handled by Anaconda RC and was in a NGC MS63 holder. Unfortunately as their website is gone I wasn't able to find a pic with Google.

There are 100% definitely black toners with booming luster. I have a peace dollar with metallic black toning and great luster. But it is not completely black as it has some red and greens with it. About 60% of the obverse is metallic black. It is deemed questionable color by PCGS though I disagree but I also have graded morgans with the same color and also booming luster. There is black toning that mutes luster completely and looks like dry charcoal but I have even seen WLH with this mettalic black that is absolutely beautiful to look at. I sold ankur a wlh in PCGS 66 that had a nice stripe of said black. Coin then sold to Mark Feld who sold it someone else. This coin even on the black parts had great silvery luster. I think the problem is it is impossible to photograph. It must be seen in hand. If you havent seen one in hand then I can see why you think they would never exist.

PurpleObvRbowZ1M.jpg

And here's the black P$. Doesnt sound like its what youre looking for, though its not for sale anyway, but should give you hope that they are out there.

$(KGrHqNHJEYE+TbLQ7lZBQE1IC,0mg~~60_12.jpg

$T2eC16hHJGIE9nnWsyVqBQE1IF6rgQ~~60_12.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!rEE-8de3)dgBQE1H96ZMg~~60_12.jpg

mumu, that is exactly what I am looking for. Are you sure I can't pry it out of your hands?

OK, I thought the corner of red and yellow might disqualify your "completely black" request. I sent you a PM.

Mumu

That is a nice peace dollar, I love the look. It would look great next to the peace dollars in your signature line.

Nick

Yeah right now it is my 22-S representative otherwise I would sell it to JCat but like I told him, Ill alway listen to offers.

Looks like the pot calling the kettle black. Physicsfan, dont waste your time or energy.
Yep, Jerseycrap trashed one of my BST threads before. I second what AnkurJ said, your just wasting your breath Physics man. In his mind he's always right.

And Jerseycrap, you said Physics is condescending, really? LAWL, I think you need to look in the mirror before calling others out for being condescending, you are a perfect example of a condescending jerk!

John,

CC

My friend just pointed this post out to me...

They both are condescending, but I think the issue has been solved here already. Physics was wrong, and there is no need to try to support him.

And by the way, those are some killer peace dollars..

There should be no more difference of opinion anymore. Multiple reputable members reported seeing black lustrous pieces (and some with photographic evidence).