• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I was underbidder on this

7 posts in this topic

I see 3 areas that are suspect enough to me to consider htis a problem coin

obverse -> triangle of field from above IN GOD WE TRUST

reverse -> area above eagles wings

and triangle between eagles legs

Cleaned or attempted repair to remove graffiti or whizzed to smooth field

it does not matter to me, unless price is greatly discounted for rare issue, I would pass

Almost certainly cleaned, but I don't think it was whizzed. The pattern you see on the obverse appears to be due to fingerprints, not whizzing. The color is lighter and more uniform than I would expect from a completely original coin. There is also a greenish color, especially in the protected places, that implies PVC or verdigris. The cleaning may have been to reduce the appearance of environmental damage.

On the whole, I am neutral on this coin. It has problems, and I would probably not buy it, but it is a scarce coin and can be difficult to locate. If the price was right, I might have picked it up and had it conserved.

I would view this piece as a hole filler. The sharpness grade is VG to Fine, but it has been cleaned, and it lacks eye appeal. It also shows the remnants of fingerprints which is a distraction, but not unusual for coins on this level.

Overall I'd say that you didn't much because I would only consider this piece at a sharp discount below the VG to Fine price.

From the image I'd say it could be cleaned, I don't think it has been whizzed, and I strongly suspect it does not look in hand as it does in the images. If so all comments are speculative and meaningless.