• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint runs out of 2013 silver coins

22 posts in this topic

Ominous sign makes headline news

Link

At first glance it sounds like our Government is out of money. Oops

I don't know if there's a numismatic story here or not :o

OP

Doesn't seem like much of a story at all. It's a problem common to most operations that produce physical objects - supply of materials always lags demand.

2009 all over again? So much demand for the bullion coins that they have to suspend the collector issues and ration the bullion pieces to their distributors?

I wonder why they put dealers on the priority list over subscription collectors? The only reason that would come to mind would be less shipping.

I wonder why they put dealers on the priority list over subscription collectors? The only reason that would come to mind would be less shipping.

Profit in volume?

Profit in volume?

I would think there would be a discount in volume, whereas there would be full profit for individual collectors.

Did they really run out or are they doing like a lot of coin dealers do and are just holding back their higher priced inventory until the market is favorable to them?

Because the law requires the mint to satisfy the public demand for the bullion issues. Special collector issues are not mandatory. So if there is more demand for the bullion coins than the mint has planchets, the silver or planchets earmarked for use in the collector issues are redirected to bullion coin production. Also since the mint does not make their own planchets they can be affected by the production capacity of the companies that do produce them.

As happened in 2009 and as may be happening again, demand for silver planchets is exceeding production capacity. In that case the producer winds up rationing planchets to their customers (The US Mint isn't the only customer.) This causes shortages in production and the Mint winds up having to ration coins to THEIR distributors. The rationing is reported, and sensing a possible "shortage" more people climb on the bandwagon trying to buy the dwindling supply. This demand feeds back up the supply chain and the production remains maxed out, yet still less than the demand and the collector issues remain in a holding pattern.

Condor,

I read in Mercanti's book, at least I think that's where I read it, that after 2009, Pres. Obama signed/amended the law and they will also need to satisfy collector demands. That's why there was a proof in 2010, etc...

Joe

Well I guess we'll see what happens on 01/24. This is the proposed release date of the 2013 SAE Proofs.

I've already received an e-mail from the mint that my proofs won't be shipped until the 1st week of February. Hope they keep their promise.

Boss, Glad to see you are keeping up with the ase

Yea I am Brian. I hate to give up on them even tho' the prices are getting up there. Got my regular 2013 bullion eagle to keep my Dansco up to date also.

Because the law requires the mint to satisfy the public demand for the bullion issues. Special collector issues are not mandatory. So if there is more demand for the bullion coins than the mint has planchets, the silver or planchets earmarked for use in the collector issues are redirected to bullion coin production. Also since the mint does not make their own planchets they can be affected by the production capacity of the companies that do produce them.

As happened in 2009 and as may be happening again, demand for silver planchets is exceeding production capacity. In that case the producer winds up rationing planchets to their customers (The US Mint isn't the only customer.) This causes shortages in production and the Mint winds up having to ration coins to THEIR distributors. The rationing is reported, and sensing a possible "shortage" more people climb on the bandwagon trying to buy the dwindling supply. This demand feeds back up the supply chain and the production remains maxed out, yet still less than the demand and the collector issues remain in a holding pattern.

I was actually just reading on a RSS feed about how the government apparently didn't like investors rubbing their nose in that particular law in 2009. Consequently, in 2010, they quietly changed the wording to include "as determined by the secretary of the treasury". So, they may not have the same pressure and/or response as what happened in 09.