• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

photographing coins

29 posts in this topic

Can someone give me some tips on how to take better photos of coins? I tried to take some with an I phone and basically the pics sucked! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jerry

I don't think you are going to get great pictures with a phone. Some guys say they do, but I know I can't.

You need a regular camera with the "flower" setting and tripod if you can use one. Lighting is a matter of experimenting. It's also a lot easier to photo raw coins or tokens than it is certified pieces.

I never thought I would have to become a professional photographer to sell a few graded coins! Learning experience I suppose. If I was a coin dealer than yes maybe I would invest in some expensive camera equipment but I am not.

I have a digital camera but its an inexpensive one maye 100 or so several years ago. I guess I can tinker with it.

Give it a try as it might surprise you!

Grab two goose neck desk lamps for either side and adjust the white balance by shooting a piece white printer paper placed under the lamps when on and you should be good to go if your camera has a macro close up setting.

This is my setup. A Fuji S3280 14MP, 24X zoom point n shoot, from a pawn shop for $100. A $5 tripod from a yard sale, two swinging lamps from Home Depot at $16 a piece and three $3 CFL's. I collect mostly Morgans so shootin is easy IMO. They are not super stellar images but it currently works for me. DSLR is in the works, been saying this for 6 months :) WB, lighting, and post editing are crucial components and of course reading about numismatic photography. Read comments by TomB, Robec, Mark G., Messdesk, Todd Pollock, and many more. I'm a novice and nothing more.

DSCF0162.jpg

DSCF0166.jpg

A couple examples from this set-up.

1885pdmplblackinsertcombo1.jpg

1876shalfa.jpg

1996Dwashie2a.jpg

1943Djeffblackcombo1.jpg

DSCF1800.jpg

smorganblackrev1a.jpg

those are nice pics. I tried using macro setting on my wifes panasonic camera. Not much luck with that. either the camera sucks or I do as a photographer. Both probably!

JWC, you can do it it just takes a bit of trial n error. You want to be around 15-18 inches above the coin, this works for me. This allows room to position the lights correctly, I use the 10 n 2 position and sometimes one at 12 o'clock. Your wife's camera, does it allow you to adjust WB? What is the zoom? Does it have a timer? Do you have editing software? If you don't Photobucket has great editing tools. I use it for brightness and contrast mostly. Contrast gives it a bit of pop. Just try shooting, the more you shoot the better you'll become.

EDIT - Also make sure the camera is level to the shooting platform and make sure your platform is level. I use a cheap string level, it's plastic and small. If you have a copy stand disregard. Are you using a tripod?

No tripod. I don't even have an owners manual on how to properly use this camera. it can zoom up to 6X I believe. Not sure of WB settings. Would be easier with manual to tinker with it.

probably has lots of great info but I think my camera is not good enough to get the kinds of pics necessary. without the right camera and lense I think I am screwed.

DSLR with a macro lens is better, but John's video shows you how take decent shots with cheap point and shoot digital cameras. I found it useful and entertaining, plus some of the techniques will also be relevant if you later upgrade to a DSLR camera.

probably has lots of great info but I think my camera is not good enough to get the kinds of pics necessary. without the right camera and lense I think I am screwed.

Depending on the value of the coins, you could also hire a professional photographer. There are several excellent photographers who post here.

This is my setup. A Fuji S3280 14MP, 24X zoom point n shoot, from a pawn shop for $100. A $5 tripod from a yard sale, two swinging lamps from Home Depot at $16 a piece and three $3 CFL's. I collect mostly Morgans so shootin is easy IMO. They are not super stellar images but it currently works for me. DSLR is in the works, been saying this for 6 months :) WB, lighting, and post editing are crucial components and of course reading about numismatic photography. Read comments by TomB, Robec, Mark G., Messdesk, Todd Pollock, and many more. I'm a novice and nothing more.

WOW! Those are some great pictures! I think I could manage that setup. Thanks

Check out the DVD of MessyDesk's 2011 FUN colloquium about affordable yet respectable numismatic photography.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121041682278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Cool! My stuff is selling on eBay!

I actually have one left to sell if the OP is interested. The camera recommendations I give are now 2 years out of date, but the techniques aren't.

JWC: What is the model of your camera? I can take a look at the owner's manual online to see if you'll have good luck with it or not. Some point and shoot cameras are better suited than others at taking good coin pictures, and it doesn't always have to do with price.

it is a panasonic luminex?? I took a couple of new pics with it tonight. I think they turned out better than the phone camera pics I started with. They are on the 3rd page of the money marketplace post. I only did the obverse side of the 2 coins until I saw how this would work. Not great but more serviceable. If you get a chance take a look and126_zps03ca938a.jpg tell me what you think. Jerry127_zpsfb391995.jpg

If your Lumex has 6x zoom you CAN can produce very nice pics, no doubt. Get into the menu and search through it. Willing to bet it has adjustments for f-stop, aperture, WB, etc. Does if have modes such as A, P, S?

EDIT - You mentioned no tripod, go get a tripod. BestBuy had some for $20 - $30. When mine is totally collapsed it's about 17" above the coin. Also you need a base. I used a base from a cheap copy stand. The stand was useless because it maxed out about 8" above the coin. Start with imaging that 93S then get into smaller diameter coinage. The image of the 93S tells me the cam is capable of taking nice shots, Did you use macro mode?

thanks for all the help from you guys. I was fairly happy with the last images I got. Much better than the shiny pics I started with. I now feel like I can put up ok enough pictures to show the features of the coins. Not close to some of the great pics on here but good enough.

DSCF0162.jpg

DSCF0166.jpg

A couple examples from this set-up.

1885pdmplblackinsertcombo1.jpg

1876shalfa.jpg

1996Dwashie2a.jpg

1943Djeffblackcombo1.jpg

DSCF1800.jpg

smorganblackrev1a.jpg

...those pics are great but those shoes are a winner!! :devil: