• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Subscription website – Your thoughts?

14 posts in this topic

Sometime within the next year or two, I want to build a website. The site would include access to every book, monograph and article I have written. Encompassing about fifteen years of research, eight books and nearly 75 lengthy articles, it would allow users to read everything on their PCs or internet device. It would prohibit downloading, copying or printing.

Is this something that collectors might find useful, and do you think people would pay a $25 annual subscription fee (or some other amount) to do this?

Is there a Senior Citizen SuperDiscount?

Actually, I much prefer reading the book. It's uncomfortable with the computer and monitor in the bed with me.

Chris

I'm not one to read a lot on the computer. I have at times just taken one of my coin books off the shelf and read it. I think if you're wanting to do the website than maybe you could have "pay for" downloads of each book and articles so people could purchase what actually interests them. Just a thought!

No. I think you would get less than 10-100 subscribers to a website you are thinking to build. So just a $250-$2500 annual income and a lot of work to build one.

I think like that, because I see that a lot of coin collectors are actually very cheap when you start talking with them about buying anything except coins ;)

I too would much rather have the paper copy of the book, but I know some people like electronic copies.

Perhaps rather than having a subscription based service, you could build a website where people can buy PDF's of your articles, etc. That is a one time transaction, and I don't have to maintain a subscription to keep reading the information. I would be very likely to purchase interesting articles in this fashion, but would be highly unlikely to subscribe to a website.

Is this something that collectors might find useful, and do you think people would pay a $25 annual subscription fee (or some other amount) to do this?

I cannot speak for others, but I would pay $25.00 annually for access to your research monographs and books.

Also, Mr. Burdette, have you considered moving the Journal of Numismatic Research into a combined electronic format/print format? The print journal could issue four times a year and archive the monthly, weekly, or other time period that you decide that could appear in advance online?

$25/year sounds fair if there is good information available and it is updated as needed.

I currently subscribe to two "hobby" websites with annual fees. My CoinFacts subscription is about $10/month and a bargain. For me it works out to about 10 cents for each coin I research (yes, that's 100 coins/month!)

coinman_23885:

The Journal of Numismatic Research is currently available in printed and PDF versions from Wizard Coin Supply. The PDF can be downloaded from their website, and the printed version can be ordered.

The next issue is complete and will be out in a few weeks.

Sometime within the next year or two, I want to build a website. The site would include access to every book, monograph and article I have written. Encompassing about fifteen years of research, eight books and nearly 75 lengthy articles, it would allow users to read everything on their PCs or internet device. It would prohibit downloading, copying or printing.

I think its a very nice idea and I'd pay a fee for it.

Would it be possible to request a download of a certain article, image, etc.? An additional fee of?

(thumbs u

Roger,

I think it's a good idea and, given your volume of output, would certainly be a bargain.

I think you should consider allowing printing from the website - after all, it's hard to make notes on the screen!

I think all of the current periodical websites allow printing, e-mailing, etc.

Until we all get I-pads, having the ability to print a page or three is very useful.

Will you allow advertising?

1- I like to have access to info fairly easily, so I like books.

2- Unless you are going to have a high constant flow of new information hitting the site on a regular basis, I don't think you will get much repeat business.

A site with all your info available for down load may pull in more money. Articles at $4.99 books at $9.99 type of thing.

just my opinion, no one ever listens to me, ;)lol