• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Franklin from FUN

12 posts in this topic

My dad felt bad that I couldn't make it to the FUN show, and he knew that I was working on a Franklin set, so he decided to surprise me with a coin. Fresh outta the mail. :)

1954franklinhalfms65fbl.jpg

Way cool for sure!! He remembers me telling him that I was going back and fourth with a dealer in Parsippany who had his marked way too high and I couldn't pull the trigger. That makes it even better for me.

Nice pickup! The 1954 generally has few bagmarks - yours looks like a nice clean example. The luster on yours appears strong, as does the strike. Pass and Stow is clearly readable, and the hair by his ear is separated. I can't see the bell lines well in your picture, but what I can see looks full. Your coin is afflicted with a few minor water spots on the reverse, but nothing excessive and certainly consistent with a 65 grade. Overall, nice coin and good addition to your set. The 50's P mints are sometimes difficult to find well struck.

Thanks folks! It's also a great example for me to compare my others to. I know I have a few that don't look nearly as good. I'm submitting this one to CAC next week..we'll see :)

Here's a pic of the bell lines. I'm not sure what to make of the 2 hits to the right of the crack. On the top row, they're defined, but I couldn't get the light to work out.

54fbl.jpg

Nice looking Frankie. :applause: You've got a cool Dad.

Hits on bell lines are quite common with FBL Franklins. IMO it comes down to how expensive the differential is between an FBL Frankie and a non-FBL Frankie for a given date/mm. If there is a big differential in price between an FBL and a non-FBL Franklin for the given date/mm, the TPG's tend to be tougher on giving a fully struck Franklin the FBL if there are some nicks on the lines. OTOH, you can get other date/mm where there is minimal price differential between FBL and non-FBL, and the TPG's will allow pretty glaring hits across the bell lines to still be considered FBL. Still, even on pricey FBL's (NOT '53-S's though) a few light nicks are considered acceptable.