• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC AWARDS posted by MAILMAN

17 posts in this topic

I am not sure how NGC Registry Awards are made, but I think there is room for some reform. Awards for sets that have no pictures of the coins or no write-up descriptions? That does not make a lot of sense. And awards for sets that have a very narrow interest and no views by the general collecting population? That sure does not make much sense.

Just a thought and possibly a good New Year's resolution for NGC.

I was lucky enough to win for Best Presented Set this year against amazing competition. I'm not sure I deserved the accolade after looking at how much efforts some other had put into their set descriptions. I can tell you in was an enormous time sink over a several months to get it done. Of course I'm happy about it now, but my wife kept buzzing in my ear "why I spent so much time writing on a blog". :gossip:

The date such received the recognition, but I have been expanding my descriptions and observations for the variety set as well.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=144532&Ranking=all

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=39434&Ranking=all

I hope to continue to build from this base of information and to eventually have the collection become a sort of Capped Bust Half Dollar tutorial. I really hope to generate expanded interest for this highly collectible 'early American' series. Any feedback as what to better or change will be greatly appreciated.

Seriously, the NGC Awards process is a joke. I can see honoring a person's effort for putting together a very rare or large series, but when you start giving out "Best of" awards for 2 and 3 coin modern sets (the SF 2 coin anniversary set and the 3 coin Lincoln Shield set are good examples) the award is meaningless and more like a marketing tool to sell more graded examples of non-rare coins.

I completely get what people are saying regarding some collectors having sour grapes and acting poorly, but seriously...top set award for a 2 coin ASE set in proof 70's? Pitifully comical.

Seriously, the NGC Awards process is a joke. I can see honoring a person's effort for putting together a very rare or large series, but when you start giving out "Best of" awards for 2 and 3 coin modern sets (the SF 2 coin anniversary set and the 3 coin Lincoln Shield set are good examples) the award is meaningless and more like a marketing tool to sell more graded examples of non-rare coins.

I completely get what people are saying regarding some collectors having sour grapes and acting poorly, but seriously...top set award for a 2 coin ASE set in proof 70's? Pitifully comical.

Its a "Best in Catagory" certificate. I wouldnt put that into the Awards column.

I'm kind of disappointed about the "AWARDS". I've several ASE sets registered of which 4 are tied for the points lead, sets were registered before other peoples yet my ranks show 2nd and worse. How is it people who have exactly the same items, registered at a later date deserve an award and I don't? I guess because they have been with NGC longer. I spent approx $2000.00 in my 1st year with NGC sending in coins for grading, countless hours registering coins and building sets. It sure would've been nice to receive just one award for my efforts and expenses. You can believe this left a sour taste. I seriously doubt if I'll renew my membership.

Mike W, the reason your sets are placed lower is because you have no photos or descriptions and the people in front of you do.

The best of these combine nice coins with clear photos and a superior understanding of the history and technology surrounding their collection. To me, concatenating a couple of auction descriptions will not result in high ratings even if the coins are very rare.

Just a thought.....

Hi gobust / Heartland Collection,

Congratulations on your #1 Best Presented Set! My USA/Philippines One Centavo Set was #2.

I know exactly what you mean when you say the effort involved was an enormous time sink. I began researching and writing (and re-writing) my set description and individual coin descriptions in May of last year. I finally finished up just a few days before the deadline. I also hope to continue improving my set as opportunities present themselves. I've been fortunate enough to have upgraded four of the coins already. I still have a lot of coins in other sets with "throw-down" descriptions and I'll be working on those this year.

Good luck to all in the coming year!