• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool video of a guy who found a bunch of bust halves and other coins

10 posts in this topic

Maybe only devil's advocate from my perspective, but I'm very suspicious of this whole thing being an elaborate advertisement for the particular brand of metal detector the guy was using, especially because he repeatedly and constantly glorifies the brand and model, way far and beyond what might be expected if he were just endorsing it casually, and furthermore if a guy had been really so successful in finding great stuff with that brand, he might just prefer to keep most of the information to himself and to his relatives and closest friends.

Raising further suspicion is the coins he found consisted of enough international diversity, France, Brazil, etc., that no ordinary stash in the U.S. from around 1838 would contain them.

Here's the probable scenario. A savvy advertising executive in the company involved is knowledgeable enough about numismatics to be able to pick up near spot any number of mostly larger size old silver coins that were low grade or ungradeable due to being whizzed, improperly cleaned, damaged, holed or whatever, even with maybe some counterfeits, soak them for a few months in water with leaves to color them up wth tannin, and deposit them in the mud of a stream edge with little or no current, film the discovery, and make sure to give major attention and maximum credit to the brand and model of detector. A great ad, professionally staged, and obviously too good to be true.

Maybe only devil's advocate from my perspective, but I'm very suspicious of this whole thing being an elaborate advertisement for the particular brand of metal detector the guy was using, especially because he repeatedly and constantly glorifies the brand and model, way far and beyond what might be expected if he were just endorsing it casually, and furthermore if a guy had been really so successful in finding great stuff with that brand, he might just prefer to keep most of the information to himself and to his relatives and closest friends.

Raising further suspicion is the coins he found consisted of enough international diversity, France, Brazil, etc., that no ordinary stash in the U.S. from around 1838 would contain them.

Here's the probable scenario. A savvy advertising executive in the company involved is knowledgeable enough about numismatics to be able to pick up near spot any number of mostly larger size old silver coins that were low grade or ungradeable due to being whizzed, improperly cleaned, damaged, holed or whatever, even with maybe some counterfeits, soak them for a few months in water with leaves to color them up wth tannin, and deposit them in the mud of a stream edge with little or no current, film the discovery, and make sure to give major attention and maximum credit to the brand and model of detector. A great ad, professionally staged, and obviously too good to be true.

Insightful post. Wouldn't surprise me if that were true. The coins looked in almost too good of shape for having been outdoors for a long time.

Although I might be proven wrong to have been so skeptical, the benefit of the film presentation to the manufacturer is so enormous I can hardly imagine them not at least paying substantial compensation for it.

Almost made me buy one myself, even though I live in an area without much hope for finding anything old, and even though I don't have enough spare time for going around detecting.

The finder said he'd been searching for 30 years before finding this treasure. Maybe he'd have made out better financially just working for minimum wage all that time. Although being outdoors hunting coins and things is great fun even if you only find a few environmentally damaged pennies, compared to whatever your work would be.

Towards the end when he and the camera go under the water is the object those coins were under and next to a cannon? I'm thinking this was a Civil War type of stash, maybe plunder that was abandoned by either soldiers or civilians.

A confederate rebel soldier got caught crossing a stream and was dropped by a Yankee mini-ball, dropping his plundered loot into the stream, or visa verse.

Glad to see you are still alive.