• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 Peace Low Relief Proof?Need Help Please

35 posts in this topic

Okay so received this peace dollar today from ebay. And I have some questions about it. The coin has built up rims especially on the obverse and their is a peculiar defect on the eagles right talon. It is completely suspended from the crag and it doesn't appear that the olive branch is connected to the foot as well, could this be a low relief proof?

20130112_130303_zps974ee795.jpg

20130112_130346_zpsf4258dd5.jpg

20130112_130321_zpscb6abb5d.jpg

20130112_130615_zpsc4b039a8.jpg

I have been trying to get better pics of the talon but my phone is being a pain. I am gonna try getting a hold of the sellers pics they are much better.

Okay so received this peace dollar today from ebay. And I have some questions about it. The coin has built up rims especially on the obverse and their is a peculiar defect on the eagles right talon. It is completely suspended from the crag and it doesn't appear that the olive branch is connected to the foot as well, could this be a low relief proof?

I have been trying to get better pics of the talon but my phone is being a pain. I am gonna try getting a hold of the sellers pics they are much better.

The chance of that being one of the 10 matte proofs struck in 1922 is remote at best. As MarkT noted, your coin has problems and appears to be a melt value 1922 Peace.

I would be interested in seeing better pics for reference though.

Their were low relief and high relief matte and satin 1922 proof peace dollars. Their is no evidence of polishing on the coin? Nor it being dipped for that matter, just in case I am wrong what is your reason for saying so?

Ok explain to us what the discoloration on the obverse of the coin is ?? Looks like Dip residue to me .

Granted your pictures are very poor so maybe the coin looks different in hand.

This coin has a definite polished or harshly cleaned and improperly dipped look to it.

Their were low relief and high relief matte and satin 1922 proof peace dollars. Their is no evidence of polishing on the coin? Nor it being dipped for that matter, just in case I am wrong what is your reason for saying so?

Hi Darrin,

There is residue on the obverse and the surfaces appear to be messed with. We're not trying to be hard on you, just realistic. There were 10 proof 1922 Peace S$1 struck. There were 52,000,000 business strikes.

I don't know what the residue is, honestly. The surfaces in hand are very smooth and the fields are near mirrored. What I was thinking is NCS would be able to help with the residue. However the only saving factor for the coin would be the rim. I paid about 4 times melt for it, so hopefully the seller will let me return the coin.

I don't know what the residue is, honestly. The surfaces in hand are very smooth and the fields are near mirrored. What I was thinking is NCS would be able to help with the residue. However the only saving factor for the coin would be the rim. I paid about 4 times melt for it, so hopefully the seller will let me return the coin.

Why would you want to conserve a coin that is basically worth melt .

Bring it into a local dealer for assessment – I am sure he will give the same opinion as we did . Then send it back .

Weren't the 22 Matte Proofs High Relief?
i think it was

In addition to High Relief 1922 Proof Peace Dollars, there are also a very small number of Low Relief examples.

If it is a matte proof it wouldn't have the same mint frost or patina as a regular coin. So that kind of is what's got me going is the proof type rim and the fact that the coin has its own glow about it. I know the odds of it being a proof so its not like I am totally clueless I just feel with rim and the detail (residue aside) that its quite different than other peace dollars.

$100 bux then. Send it in for conservation and then grading by NGC. $150, cheap lesson, less since the coin will still be worth melt. So, you'd only be out $125 worst case. Best case you have what you think you have and you win the lotto. Again, who here hasn't wasted at least that much on an office pool lotto? I know I have.

It seems you're pretty bent on choosing your opinion over those of whom are quite informed. The only option at this point is to have it conserved and graded so that you can rest your conscience. Please post results when they come back.

I didn't say I was dead set. I am here to learn and gain experience collecting. So let me present this scenario say we forget that others feel the coin is polished and say we pretend the coin does not have the residue. What would your opinions be given the strike and squared rim?

Also given that I am fairly new to the hobby and I have encountered great difficulty finding diagnostics for the low relief proof does anybody know what they are? Their has to be more than just a strong strike, texture and the olive branch being separated from the talons.

$100 bux then. Send it in for conservation and then grading by NGC. $150, cheap lesson, less since the coin will still be worth melt. So, you'd only be out $125 worst case. Best case you have what you think you have and you win the lotto. Again, who here hasn't wasted at least that much on an office pool lotto? I know I have.

It seems you're pretty bent on choosing your opinion over those of whom are quite informed. The only option at this point is to have it conserved and graded so that you can rest your conscience. Please post results when they come back.

lol look at my last few purchases I have posted. By most collector standards I am in too deep on them all.

I know this is a huge photo, it's from HA, but if you look at the date it's a double die, not sure if they're all that way, but if you consider again the low population you would think they are all double die.

On second thought this appears to be the high relief version.

5c919c40f7bf4517a6f5d2e.png

I have drooled over the HA auction photos for many hours lol. But their is still no definite die characteristics listed. And yes the photo posted was a high relief. Which their actually is a full double die date 22 peace on ebay right now but the twos aren't correct for the high relief.I have several that make good candidates for the low relief version, I will post those when they are in hand, I swear I will own one, one day lol. Anyone have a breens encyclopedia handy?

Do you have local dealers who can look at this coin ?? That is the first step.

If you want to spend the money and send it in by all means do so. At least that way you will know for sure what you have and you will sleep better at night. :grin:

lol look at my last few purchases I have posted. By most collector standards I am in too deep on them all.

:o If $150 was the most I ever lost on a coin, I'd be VERY happy! :insane: