• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TPG error or seller misrepresentation?

6 posts in this topic

I'm sorry if this is an old subject, but I've been seeing a lot of this. I'm wondering if the TPG that's slacking or eBay sellers false advertising. Would a reputable grader like NGC miss a popular error for that date? Did he use a mirror to grade? Being a beginner, even I can make that call. This seller advertises the coin with this heading "1938-D/S INDIAN-HEAD BUFFALO 5c NICKEL NGC MS66 NICE!" and is asking $219 BIN. I clicked on it, and nowhere on the NGC slab does it mention D/S.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-D-S-INDIAN-HEAD-BUFFALO-5c-NICKEL-NGC-MS66-NICE-/290758509861?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item43b28ec525

Is missing an error something more common than I would think?

Thanks!

The TPGs now charge a higher rate for checking for most varieties - they do not check for all possibilities under basic fee.

The seller may or may not be correct - if you need variety listed on slab, you should buy it that way - or be willing to pay another $50 or so to get it there.

Most likely it was a coin that was submitted for grading and the seller didn't ask for variety which costs more. But most likely the person who sent it in for grading didn't realize it was a D/S. With their small pictures it's hard to tell for sure if it's the D/S variety. I do see something that might be a D/S there, but without better more high resolution pictures it's almost impossible to tell for sure.

I've had it both ways. On some coins I've asked them to verify a variety (it's a few added dollars) and I've had them notice varieties and just add the fee to my credit card.

Most recently I asked them to check for a vam, the coin was not a vam and there was no charge I'm aware of (but the coins are in transit).

if you need variety listed on slab, you should buy it that way - or be willing to pay another $50 or so to get it there.

I was getting an idea of what people are selling them for. I might be parting with mine one day. I'm not sure yet though...it's growing on me :)